Thursday, August 15, 2013


Pepe Le Pew Sighting
White is not a mere absence of color; it is a shining and affirmative thing, as fierce as red, as definite as black. God paints in many colors; but He never paints so gorgeously as when He paints in white.  G.K. Chesterton

I’ve come to the conclusion that either I lead an exciting life or trouble follows me everywhere.  I saw Pepe this morning.  I pulled up to our building and reached over to pick up my purse when out of the corner of my eye I saw something running across the parking lot.  It was Pepe Le Pew our resident skunk.  He really doesn’t need to worry about me being a danger to him.  I am more of a danger to myself by the mere fact that I am more likely to break something trying to get away from him.  I am not sure why he was moving so fast unless he saw breakfast in the bushes in front of our building.  He actually ran into the bushes at the entrance to our building. 
I guess it is a good thing that I get to work so early because I don’t have other cars to obstruct the view in case he decides to sneak up on me.  Did you know that skunks have an excellent sense of smell and hearing but poor eyesight?  I’m thinking he probably wishes he had better eyesight and a poor sense of smell.  Right about now I am guessing he heard me park this morning and his sense of hearing made him run.  I am just thankful his eyesight was poor and he didn’t run toward me and go under my car. 

I started thinking, which is a dangerous thing in itself.  What would God be trying to teach me with this incident?  If you think about it, a skunk probably has few friends.  The very thought of his defense mechanism makes me want to run for the hills.  He doesn’t need to carry a sign to advertise it.  The fact that he has a white stripe down his back distinguishes him from every other creature God created.
Then I thought about his color.  He is black and white.  This reminded me of our sin.  We can be washed with the blood of Christ or tainted with the blackness of the sin of Satan.  God allows us the freedom to choose.  If you accept the hope that is found in Christ there is an eternity of freedom waiting for you in heaven.      

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, You amaze me with the creatures you placed on earth.  The very characteristics that exist in animals can often be applied to humans.  I see You in everything, even the smallest creatures on earth.  We don’t have to look far in order to see You at work. You provided a way for our sin to be washed clean through the death of Jesus on a cross.  I praise You for Your great love.      
Scripture: Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him.  And John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?”  But Jesus answered and said to him, “Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed Him.  When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him.  And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” Matthew 3:13-17

No comments:

Post a Comment