Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Help

If you are under the power of evil, and you want to get under the power of God, cry to Him to bring you over to His service; cry to Him to take you into His army. He will hear you; He will come to you, and, if need be, He will send a legion of angels to help you to fight your way up to heaven. God will take you by the right hand and lead you through this wilderness, over death, and take you right into His kingdom.  D.L. Moody

I can't help thinking of the old woman who started out when the war commenced with a poker in her hand. When asked what she was going to do with it she said: "I can't do much with it, but I can show what side I'm on." My friends, even if you can't do much, show to which side you belong. D.L. Moody

Have you figured out yet that God is there to help?  Over the years there were times when I thought I didn’t need His help.  Why does that happen?  It happens because we think we can do better than He can when we are faced with trouble.

When Jesus fasted for forty days and forty nights, at that point He was human just like we are now.  To be honest with you I can’t imagine fasting for forty days and forty nights. That simple statement “He was hungry” doesn’t even begin to cover it.  At what would be considered one of His weakest points in life, Satan was sent to tempt Him.  If Jesus in His Greatness could be tempted, we certainly stand a better chance of falling into Satan’s trap.

If we think about it, we are tempted on a daily basis by Satan.  When the Bible says he is roaming to and fro watching and waiting to devour us, that is a harsh truth.  When we sin we fall into his trap. When we decide we don’t need God’s help or if we depend on others more than we do God, we are guilty of falling into Satan’s trap.

God waits for us to come to Him daily.  Sometimes we are too busy, other times we don’t think we need Him, and still other times we think we know what is best for us so we ignore Him.   

When you need God’s help you don’t have to pray some elaborate prayer that has lots of eloquent words and phrases that sound good. In Psalm 50:14-15 we are told to “Offer to God thanksgiving, and pay your vows to the Most High. Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me.” A simple “help me Jesus or “help me God” will suffice.  He will hear and deliver you.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, sometimes I commit the sin of leaving You out of my troubles and depending on myself to deliver me from them.  When I start thinking that way I am elevating myself above You.  You have been there for me when I needed You most.  Thank You for Your loving guidance and remind me to turn to You when I need help.   
  
Scripture: Satan Tempts Jesus
Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil.  And when He had fasted forty days and forty nights, afterward He was hungry.  Now when the tempter came to Him, he said, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.”

But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’”

Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written:
‘He shall give His angels charge over you,’ and, ‘In their hands they shall bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone.’”

Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall not tempt the Lord your God.’”
Again, the devil took Him up on an exceedingly high mountain, and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to Him, “All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me.”

Then Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’”


Then the devil left Him, and behold, angels came and ministered to Him.  Matthew 4:1-11

No comments:

Post a Comment