Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Childlike

It seems to me, as time goes on, that the only thing that is worth seeking for is to know and to be known by Christ -- a privilege open alone to the childlike, who, with receptivity, guilelessness, and humility, move Godward.  Charles H. Brent

I love to watch children.  They have an innocence about them that is irresistible and their hearts are open.  They haven’t yet experienced the disappointment, tragedy and reality of an adult.  They haven’t been colored by cynicism, hurt or anger. When children dream of what they will be it is normally not something small.  They have the imagination to dream big so their expectations of what they can be are not hindered by the reality of a fallen world.

When I look back on the happiest times of my life the majority of the time my thoughts are centered on childhood memories.  Camping trips, summers with nothing to do but play, riding horses in the evening with my family and floating on inner tubes on the creek with my cousins.  These are the carefree thoughts of childhood. 

Unfortunately, some of our best childhood memories become overshadowed by the hurts of the world.  This becomes our new reality and we grow up.  So we gradually forget or set aside the happiest times and replace them with sorrowful and burdensome events of life.

In Mark 10:14-15 Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God.  Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.” 

It is difficult to survive the hurts of the world and become like little children again.  Through the hurts of the world we bury our ability to become childlike.  We literally become old before our time.  We should pursue Heaven with childlike fervor because God has created a place where our dreams will be realized. 

If I look forward to heaven with the unlimited ability of God to create such an amazing place for me to live through eternity, then this world I live in now will be but a blip on my journey to heaven.  

I think it is best said by Randy Alcorn in his book Heaven.  “God is big enough not only to fulfill your dreams but also to expand them as you anticipate Heaven.  When you experience disappointment and loss as you faithfully serve God here, remember: the loss is temporary.  The gains will be eternal.  Every day on the New Earth will be a new opportunity to live out the dreams that matter most.”

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I pray for my vision of heaven to be one of amazed wonder at the unlimited possibilities of the home you have created for us.  I want to be childlike in my imagination of what heaven will be like because You promise me wonders beyond my comprehension.     

Scripture:  Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.  Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.  Matthew 18:2-4 

No comments:

Post a Comment