Thursday, February 16, 2017

Connections

You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit - fruit that will last - and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.  This is my command: Love each other.  John 15:16-17

What kind of connections do you have?  Are you more concerned with your connection with God or your connection with others?  Our relationship with God is like a power outlet.  If I don’t connect to my main power source I am not going to have the strength, knowledge or energy to run at optimal level.

If I am not getting connected with God on a daily basis, my power is going to run low.  When my God power is low, Satan has the best opportunity to steal what power I do have and I become ineffective in my Christian life. 

Have you ever had a power surge and had a breaker switch thrown?  It happens with storms or when you plug in an appliance that is too large for the circuit to handle.  It is a safety device built into outlets that trip the breaker off so that it won’t cause a fire. 

This is exactly what happens in our relationship with God.  If we don’t connect often with our Heavenly Father we lose power.  The second thing is if we don’t connect in the right way the connection is broken or our breaker switch is flipped and we get no God power.

If we are going to keep running at optimal level, we need to spend time with God.  Many years ago before I started writing devotionals I am ashamed to admit I didn’t spend much time with God at all. I went to church on Sunday and if I had some problem in my life that I couldn’t handle, I would randomly go to Him for help.  This is a poor example of what my relationship with God should be. 

When I started writing devotionals, it meant I had to study the Bible.  How could I share God with other people if I didn’t know Him very well myself?  How could I share His Word or help another person come to know Him if my own connection was broken.  God has the power to transform our lives but we need to reach out to him and connect.  He is constantly pursuing us and the only way we will connect is to get to know Him.  Don’t let faulty wiring disconnect You from God.  Connect with Him and you will have an unlimited power source.   

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I know this is not all there is to life and I know too many times I spend way too much energy and time trying to accomplish pointless things here in this life.  My main concern should be showing others You.  If I am too focused on the things here, I will miss the opportunities to show others the life You have prepared for us for eternity.  I need Your help to give up my selfish wants in this life.  Thank You for having patience with me and for loving me. 
        

Scripture: The Vine and the Branches


"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.  You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you.  No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine.  Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.  John 15:1-4 


No comments:

Post a Comment