Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Do You Conform or Transform?

Give up the struggle and the fight; relax in the omnipotence of the Lord Jesus; look up into His lovely face and as you behold Him, He will transform you into His likeness. You do the beholding--He does the transforming. There is no short-cut to holiness.  Alan Redpath

I was asked a question recently by a young person seeking answers.  I was asked why people act one way when they are at church, and act totally different when they aren’t at church? 

I decided to look up the definitions of conform and transform.  Conform means to behave according to socially acceptable conventions or standards. Transform means to make a thorough or dramatic change in the form, appearance, or character of a person.

The first question I asked myself was, “Do I do this myself?”  Do I conform to the worlds standards or to I transform to be more like Jesus?  Do I transform myself into Jesus likeness only when I am at church or everywhere I go?  I’ll admit I have often conformed to what the world wants to see.  It’s those times when you want to fit in with the crowd so you conform yourself to act like they do.

In Romans 12:1-2 we are told to present our bodies as a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

These verses tell us that we are to be living sacrifices.  When we transform ourselves into His likeness, we will no longer try to conform to what the world expects us to be.  This is one of the most difficult things to do, because the world has such influence on us and we are taught from a young age that we need to fit in.  We are taught that if we don’t fit in we won’t be successful or people won’t like us. 

The reality is; it shouldn’t matter what the world thinks about us one way or another.  It should matter what God thinks.  If we aren’t the same person at home that we are at church on Sunday; we are conforming instead of transforming.  God wants to transform you.  Let Him do a work in You that no one else can. 


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, there have often been times when I have been conformed to what the world wants to see instead of being transformed into Your likeness.  I pray that you will do whatever it takes to get my attention and to draw me back to Your likeness. Being more like You should be my only goal in life.  Thank You for Your pursuit of a sinner like me.      

Scripture: Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.  2 Corinthians 3:17-18

No comments:

Post a Comment