Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Change Your Life, Change Your Name

There are two hundred and fifty-six names given in the Bible for the Lord Jesus Christ, and I suppose this was because He was infinitely beyond all that any one name could express.  Billy Sunday

One of the things I find interesting in the Bible is the fact that God often gave people new names.  You might start out as a Jacob (meaning supplanter; take the place of by unfair methods or treacherous means), remember Jacob stole Esau’s birthright, and then end up being called Israel (meaning having power with God).  Then there was Simon (meaning reed-like or grass-like) whose name was later changed to Peter (meaning rock). Abram’s (meaning exalted father) and was later changed to Abraham (meaning father of a multitude). 

I believe people in the Bible were given new names by God when they became more like what God called them to be.  There were times in the Bible when Jesus would call Peter by his old name Simon.  That might have been to remind Peter that he was starting to revert back to his old ways.  
      
In ancient times people were named after character traits.  So not only did you have a name so people would recognize you, but you also might exhibit the traits of the meaning of your name.  God often gave people new names to establish their new identity. 

In today’s society more time is spent on thinking up what kind of weird name you should name your child so they can be “unique” or different from everyone else.  Something that will make them stand out like Apple or North. 

In Revelation 2:17 we are told “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, to him I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, and a new name written on the stone which no one knows but he who receives it.’

It really doesn’t matter what our name is today.  What matters is the name we will receive one day from Jesus.  What name would you want written on the stone that is handed to you?  If a new name could be used to describe our character at this point in our life, would it be Jacob or Israel, Simon or Peter, Abram or Abraham. 


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I want to live up to the name You will give me one day.  My life must first be changed to reflect Jesus’ character.  I am afraid that if you came today, I would not come close to living up to that name.  I pray for your guidance and strength to make me into a better person for Your name’s sake.     


Scripture: He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.  Revelation 3:12

No comments:

Post a Comment