Thursday, April 10, 2014

Relevant

I have met so many young people who do not see the church as relevant and do not consider the Bible a real book of history that can be trusted.  Ken Ham

I heard a disturbing report this morning on the news.  The American Bible Society takes an annual poll every year related to the Bible.  They found that 1 in 5 Americans are skeptical of the Bible’s relevance.  The ones who are most indifferent in the study are those between the ages of 18-29.
    
I grew up in a Christian home where the Bible is truth and it governs how we live our lives. I still have my first Bible that my grandmother gave me.  It has my name engraved on the front in gold letters.  The binding is worn and a little torn but isn’t that the way your Bible should be.  When my Bible shows no wear and tear then I am probably not opening it often enough. In my eyes the relevance of the Bible is best described in John 14:6  - Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

I admit there were times in my younger years where I didn’t always follow the way of the Bible. We are sinners and we are susceptible to worldly sin.  I think the problem today lies in how children are being exposed to the Bible if at all.  If we don’t teach them about what the Bible means, how will they ever learn how truly relevant It is.

We are given the opportunity of a lifetime to be saved for eternity and to share it with everyone we come in contact with but too many times we hesitate.  If 1 in 5 Americans don’t believe the Bible is relevant, we as a society are in trouble. 
       
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, the Bible is relevant to me.  I praise You for giving me the Book that helps me through any trouble I may face in this life.  It is a love story to Your people.  Help me to value it as a priceless treasure and to share it with a younger generation who may have never heard of its great importance or fully understand the consequences of not appreciating it for what it is. 

Scripture: 

Faith Triumphs in Trouble

Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.


Christ in Our Place

For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation. Romans 5:1-11

No comments:

Post a Comment