Monday, June 23, 2014

Road Trips & Back Roads

“If we know exactly where we're going, exactly how to get there, and exactly what we'll see along the way, we won't learn anything.” ― M. Scott Peck

I took a road trip this weekend.  One of the things I love to do on a road trip is watch the scenery go by and I enjoy taking the back roads because I think too many times I spend so much time in traffic that it is a joy to just ride and anticipate what is around the next corner. 

So this weekend I traveled to Austin.  So I drove down to Austin on I-35.  For those of you who never go to Austin or maybe have never heard of it, there has been construction on that highway for the past 35 years.  Every town I passed through was under construction.  The thing is it wasn’t just crews repairing potholes.  They are building over passes and adding lanes, removing lanes and all around making a mess of things. I went through Hillsboro, Waco, Temple, Belton, Georgetown, Round Rock and Pflugerville and every one of those towns was under construction.

So on my return trip to Dallas I decided to take the back roads instead.  Interesting things happen on the back roads.  The land outside of Austin is hilly and there are even what I would call small mountains.  If you are from the real mountains you would call them speed bumps, but I live in the flatlands of Texas so these were mountains to me. 

I am driving along watching the scenery and I drive up to one of these mountains where they have cut the road right through it.  There are steep inclines on either side of the road and I see something moving to the right of the road.  I glanced over and there is a deer running down the side of the hill at a good clip.  By the way I forgot to tell you that I bought a new car last week, so I am watching this deer run down the side of this hill toward the road headed for my new car.  This is where I started talking and praying to myself.  Don’t do it!  Don’t do it!   I thought, Lord don’t let that deer run in front of my brand new car.  The interesting thing was the deer stopped at the side of the road and looked straight at me.  It was like we made a connection. 

I’ve never been a deer in headlights but I know what one looks like now.  I was so close to him that I could see his muscles quivering like I scared him as much as he scared me and he was considering running in front of me.  He actually stood there as I passed by.  I was so thankful that he didn’t run in front of me and become my new car hood ornament that I thanked God for His many blessings. 

I later almost hit a buzzard in the middle of the road eating lunch and I also barely missed a chicken.  About now I know you are thinking, “Man I want to take a road trip with her.  She sees all the good stuff.”

What I learned on this road trip was that God was with me all the way.  We are on the road trip of a lifetime to an eternal place.  Sometimes when we take the road less traveled, the stillness and peace of the empty road will often reveal more about God than taking the road everyone travels.   If you are on the road with everyone, get off and take the road less traveled.  You will be amazed at what God will reveal to you.  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I saw You yesterday throughout my trip home.  The emptiness of the road and nature revealed a picture of You.  Appreciating what You created is part of our journey home.   If I remember that everything that happens to me is designed for my spiritual growth, I will appreciate everything that happens in my life.  We are on the road trip of a lifetime.  How and where we navigate that trip will make the difference in our eternal life.     

Scripture: A highway shall be there, and a road, and it shall be called the Highway of Holiness. The unclean shall not pass over it, but it shall be for others. Whoever walks the road, although a fool, shall not go astray. No lion shall be there, nor shall any ravenous beast go up on it; it shall not be found there. But the redeemed shall walk there, and the ransomed of the Lord shall return, and come to Zion with singing, with everlasting joy on their heads. They shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.  Isaiah 35:8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment