Monday, June 16, 2014

The Circle

If our expenditure on comforts, luxuries, amusements, etc., is up to the standard common among those with the same income as our own, we are probably giving away too little. If our charities do not at all pinch or hamper us, I should say they are too small. There ought to be things we should like to do and cannot because our charitable expenditure excludes them.  C.S. Lewis

I was thinking this morning about the blessings God has given me over the years.  My husband and I have been through tough times in our lives together as a couple.  He suffered through cancer with me and I suffered through a loss of his job with him.  Over the years God has taught me many things about trials, suffering and blessings. 

He taught me that I have the love of a great man.  Jerry loves me unconditionally.  God also taught me to give to others.  The most joyful time I find in giving to others, is when I can least afford to do it.  If you think about it, when our hands are empty, God often gives us greater blessings than we could ever imagine.

I like to think of giving as a circle.  You give a part of yourself or money or possessions away and God in turn blesses you with more.  You give from what He blesses you with again and He blesses us more.  What I have learned is that the more of these things you give away the more He blesses.  It is a never ending circle.  The thing that breaks this circle is when we become selfish with our possessions, time or money or anything else.  When it becomes all about me our circle with God is broken.
 
We live in a selfish world and it is hard for us to grasp why God wants us to give of our time, resources and selves.  When we are generous with others, God is generous with us so we can then be generous with others again.  When we give away what God gives us, we are giving thanks to God for that blessing. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I want to give generously of the blessings you have given me.  You have blessed me in too many ways to count and I give thanks to You, for those blessings.  Help me to help others by giving those blessings away in my actions towards others, my time and also the resources You give me.  

Scripture: The Cheerful Giver

But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work. As it is written:


“He has dispersed abroad,
He has given to the poor;
His righteousness endures forever.”


Now may He who supplies seed to the sower, and bread for food, supply and multiply the seed you have sown and increase the fruits of your righteousness, while you are enriched in everything for all liberality, which causes thanksgiving through us to God. For the administration of this service not only supplies the needs of the saints, but also is abounding through many thanksgivings to God, while, through the proof of this ministry, they glorify God for the obedience of your confession to the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal sharing with them and all men, and by their prayer for you, who long for you because of the exceeding grace of God in you. Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift! 2 Corinthians 9:6-15

No comments:

Post a Comment