Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Big Yellow Taxi

No man who is fit to live need fear to die. To us here, death is the most terrible thing we know. But when we have tasted its reality it will mean to us birth, deliverance, a new creation of ourselves. It will be what health is to the sick man; what home is to the exile; what the loved one given back is to the bereaved. As we draw near to it a solemn gladness should fill our hearts. It is God's great morning lighting up the sky. Our fears are the terror of children in the night. The night with its terrors, its darkness, its feverish dreams, is passing away; and when we awake it will be into the sunlight of God.  Thomas Fuller

I had another dream last night, or I should say early this morning.  I dreamed I missed the school bus.  You know how in the early hours of the morning you go into what they call REM sleep.  You know what I am talking about.  Rapid Eye Movement sleep.  I call it RLM because in this dream I was running to catch the bus and I missed it so it was more like Rapid Leg Movement. 

So I am dreaming that the school bus was going to pull up at any minute at school, but I forgot something and ran back to get it.  Have you ever noticed that when you are in a hurry, everything and everyone else slows to a crawl?   I am not sure why I had to run down the bleachers, but as I am running I look over and see one of my uncles sleeping in the bleachers.  I am not sure if this was to remind me not to be caught sleeping when the big yellow taxi pulls into the station, but that is a possibility.  When I returned to the pickup location the bus (or big yellow taxi) had pulled away and was down the street turning the corner. 

We were all kids at one time and if you never rode a school bus it can make a kid panic if you miss it.  For a kid it is like the end of the world.  There is not another bus that is going to come along and pick you up 15 minutes later.  The bus you ride is the only one that is going to take you home.  You can’t get on the next bus in the line and get home.  That bus will take you somewhere else and maybe somewhere you don’t want to go. 

So back to my dream.  When I missed the bus I reached into my pocket and pulled out my cell phone.  The really weird part (I know you are laughing now because this whole thing is weird), was that back in the day when I went to school we didn’t even have cell phones so this dream covers multiple generations.  So I pull my cell phone out and call my Dad.  Instead of the phone ringing it started playing a Willie Nelson song.  So I am thinking, is this the right phone number because my Dad doesn’t like Willie Nelson music.  In the midst of me making this phone call I jumped out of bed and ran into the kitchen.  I don’t know if I thought I could catch another bus in the kitchen or what, but I thought I was late again.  When I get to the kitchen I glance at my phone and it is 3:30am. When I finally came to my senses, I went back to bed but I couldn’t go back to sleep.  Imagine that.  So yet again, I started thinking about God and this is what I came up with.

There is only one bus that goes to heaven.  We all want to be on that bus because the other bus is not one we want to take. Time is ticking away for us to get on the right bus and we must be saved by the blood of Jesus Christ. I want to be in line when the bus pulls up to my stop.  I don’t want to be running around chasing worldly things. I want to be standing in line waiting for the big yellow taxi to pull to a stop and when the doors open I will run on and take a seat.  I can’t imagine a nicer ride.     


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, there are times when I dream strange things.  One of the things that I so enjoy is thinking about You in everything I do.  Thinking about You brings me joy and I see You in everything, even my weird dreams.  Thank You for loving me enough to give me a way back to You.  When the roll is called I want to be in the Lambs Book of Life and live with You for eternity.       

Scripture:  He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.  Revelation 3:5


 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.  To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.  Revelation 3:19-21

No comments:

Post a Comment