Monday, October 12, 2015

Old Age

We begin life with the natural, next we come into the spiritual; but then, when we have truly received the kingdom of God and His righteousness, the natural is added to the spiritual, and we are able to receive the gifts of His providence and the blessings of life without becoming centered in them or allowing them to separate us from Him.  A.B. Simpson

I don’t know about you, but the older I get the more my mail has changed.  I was sorting through our mail yesterday and came across an interesting envelope.  The first clue I had that this mail was going to remind me of how old I am was the name on the outside of the envelope.  In the top left corner of the envelope in big colorful letters was the word Dignity.  When I looked up the definition of dignity, it read “bearing, conduct, or speech indicative of self-respect or appreciation of the formality or gravity of an occasion or situation.” 

When I opened to envelope they proceeded to tell me what a bargain I would get and how considerate I would be to my family if I bought my burial plot, casket and paid my burial expenses ahead of time.  Don’t get me wrong, I think everyone should prepare for the end of our lives, but I would prefer not to receive reminders in the mail about my ultimate demise. 

Do you remember when you were 18 and the only thing you received in the mail were credit card applications?  Your whole life was in front of you and they couldn’t wait to help you make your mark on the world with their credit card.  You hit the half century mark and your mail changes.  You get letters and advertisements from funeral homes, hearing aid companies, and ads for 2 pair of bifocals for $60 bucks.  As if these things aren’t enough, you get the stuff from the life insurance companies and the motorized cart manufacturers and then there is Medicare. 

I think some of these companies have it all wrong.  Instead of sending me stuff that points out my old age, why not send me something that makes me celebrate it.  How about sending me a “Welcome to Heaven” card or “You’re in Good Hands with God, or what about “I Can See Clearly Now” and heaven is what I see with no bifocals in sight.    

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, as I grow older more and more companies are waiting on the sidelines ready to point out my aging. When Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of Life, it meant each of us will one day face death.  I praise You for giving me the choice of eternal life with You.  There will come a day when we have the opportunity to live with You forever.  I look forward to that day.           
      

Scripture: Life and Judgment Are Through the Son

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.  Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live. For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself, and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man.  John 5:24-27

No comments:

Post a Comment