Monday, January 11, 2016

Courage to Stand Up

Courage is the indispensable requisite of any true ministry. Courage is good everywhere, but it is necessary here. If you are afraid of men and a slave to their opinion, go and do something else. Go and make shoes to fit them. But do not keep on all your life preaching sermons which shall say not what God sent you to declare, but what they hire you to say.  Phillips Brooks

My Dad told me a story about me several weeks ago that I had never heard.   I had made a comment about how I look back on who I was and how shy I was when I was young and am amazed that I am like I am today.  It used to make me uncomfortable to converse with people.  I never knew quite what to say and I always thought that whatever I did say wouldn’t be right so I would stand in a crowd of people racking my brain to come up with something funny or original to talk about, but I would get so nervous that I wouldn’t say anything.  Can I hear a resounding Awwwkward!!! 
 
Many years have passed and I have since learned how to make conversation and it no longer intimidates me or feels awkward.  I have spoken at so many events now that I have become comfortable in my own skin.  What I learned over the years is that when I am passionate about something, I can talk for hours.   

So, back to my story.  Dad said he knew that one day I was going to be a strong person.  When I asked him why he said that; this is the story he told.  Dad said when I was around seven and my brother was four we were outside playing.  My Dad was nearby working in the garden and also watching us from a distance.  One of the neighborhood kids was playing with us and he said all of a sudden this neighbor kid reached over and took the toy my brother was holding.  Dad said he stopped what he was doing to see what would happen.  He said I walked up to the other kid and jerked my brother’s toy out of his hand and told him he couldn’t take my brother’s toy.  Here was this skinny legged little girl taking up for her baby brother.

I started laughing.  I couldn’t help it.  I could not correlate this person in the story with who I used to be.  It was like seeing a glimpse of who I would become.  Have you ever stood up for something you know is right and been knocked down only to get back up and do it again?  That is kind of like what it means to be a Christian.  There are a lot of people in this world who don’t want to hear about who God is or what it means to love Him.  Too many people think there are too many things to do in this world to worry about our future home.
 
I love our Heavenly Father and am not ashamed to admit it.  He is my strength and He gives me courage when I have none.  I thank God for the courage He has given me to stand up for Him on a daily basis.  
 
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I pray that you will teach me Your way.  I look to You for the courage to stand up for You and tell everyone You are my Redeemer.  In that long ago story that my Dad told about me, I can see a glimpse of what You knew I could be.  I didn’t stop and think or hesitate.  Too many times as I have gotten older I start to hesitate because of what the world expects.  Help me to step out in faith for You without hesitation.  I love you Father.

Scripture: Teach me Your way, O Lord, and lead me in a smooth path, because of my enemies.  Do not deliver me to the will of my adversaries; for false witnesses have risen against me, and such as breathe out violence.  I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.


Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the Lord! Psalm 27:11-14

No comments:

Post a Comment