Thursday, January 28, 2016

Heaven’s Investment Portfolio

There is no such merchant as the charitable man; he gives trifles which he could not keep, to receive treasure which he cannot lose. Francis Quarles

I invest in a 401K plan where I work and I also have money invested in one with a previous employer.  I am not one of those savvy investors who knows everything about each company I invest in.  I went out recently to change my investment strategy.  Some people spend a lot of time watching their stock to see if it is performing at a beneficial rate and then they change their stock choices if it isn’t.  We know a guy who watches his stocks daily and is constantly changing his investments. 

The reason I decided to change my investments is because I buckled under pressure.  By that I mean; I kept getting this traffic light signal every time I received an email from my plan administrator.  Every time I got the traffic light it was red and it would tell me for my age I was investing too aggressively.  I kind of got offended the first time I got that because of the age comment.  I mean your fund administrator tells you you’re old and AARP sends you an application to confirm you’re old.  My theory is I don’t know when God will decide it is my time to go so why not go for the gusto.  That; however is not a good strategy according to the administrator of my money. 

My investment strategy for 401K is very simple, (and you may even call me a stupid investor), but that’s okay with me. When it comes to investing my 401K, I invest in things that I buy and I don’t invest in international stocks.  The thing about investing money is, it can be gone in an instant.  One day you can have millions in investments and all it takes is one world event and it can all be gone.  Investing is a gamble.  You gamble that your money will increase if you invest in a certain company.  Your investment is dependent on someone you don’t know, making business decisions that could make or break your investment. 

Do you ever think about your Heaven Investment Portfolio?  How much do you invest in the portfolio that is the most important, has the best return on investment and is guaranteed?  In 1 Timothy 6:17-19 it says, “Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share, storing up for themselves a good foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life.

What would you rather invest in?  Do you want riches in this life or your future life?  How much you give to others in this life will make a huge difference in your eternal life.  In Matthew 6:19-21 it says, “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

Treasure in heaven or treasure on earth.  My investment portfolio on earth can be taken from me and destroyed, but my eternal treasure can’t be touched.  Which one is more important to you?


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I often spend more time worrying about the money and investments that I have, instead of spending my time storing up treasure in heaven. Remind me that treasure on earth is fleeting but treasure in heaven is everlasting.  
    
      

Scripture:  The Parable of the Hidden Treasure

“Again, the kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and hid; and for joy over it he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.” Matthew 13:44

No comments:

Post a Comment