Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Mobile Devices

You will not be in heaven two seconds before you cry out, why did I place so much importance on things that were so temporary? What was I thinking? Why did I waste so much time, energy and concern on what wasn't going to last? Rick Warren

Those who know me personally or read my blog, know that I am not technologically savvy in some areas.  When it comes to my mobile device, (i.e. iPhone), I am literally behind the times.  There is a whole different language when you talk about mobile devices.  Let me explain.

I have a mobile device called a Smart Phone.  Go figure.  A Smart Phone for someone who doesn’t know how to use it.  How ironic.  I had an Android, (another word for a Smart Phone), but this year I decided to move up to the iPhone.  This is dangerous territory for a novice like me.  It has taken me three months to figure out how to listen to my messages.  The problem with picking up my messages came when it didn’t give me the option to listen to the message before I called the person back.  Since I didn’t read the manual before I became fully operational on my iPhone, I didn’t know where the listen button was. 

Then there was the volume button on the side of the phone.  I couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t hear my phone ringing.  I knew where the button was to turn the volume up but for some reason all it would do was vibrate.  It took me two months to figure out that there was a button on the side that turned off the ringer.

Yesterday I finally was able to get “Siri” to call my husband for me.  At the rate this is going maybe I should just have her talk to him instead of me.  She seems to be a lot smarter than I am when it comes to the device. 

Then there is the whole mobile app thing.  This one really confuses me.  I was looking at apps, not because I plan on using any, but because I was curious what all the fuss was about apps.  Did you know Starbucks even has apps?  You can get “Square Wallet” so that you can pay for your coffee with your phone.  I think they should be politically correct and call the women’s version “Square Purse”. 

There is a “Zlitter” app that is a real-time location sharing only with people you care about: Zlitter’s location-awareness technology virtually eliminates privacy concerns by allowing you to control your own visibility. 

My all time favorite for absurdity though is the “Inner Balance App”. This is an app that offers both monitoring and training to effectively manage stress and rebalance the mind and emotions.   You can actually purchase a sensor to attach to your earlobe that measures your heart rate and rhythms and reflect emotional fluctuations.  Supposedly you can gain inner balance and happiness just by using this app. The app is free but the sensor is going to set you back about $99. 

There are so many apps out there that I can’t cover all of them.  The thing that struck me most about apps is how much time they take to use, download and cost in some cases.  Call me an old fashioned Baby Boomer, but I can get all the happiness and inner peace I need by spending time with God. Don’t misunderstand me when I say that I think there are apps that are helpful and can be beneficial.  But, last time I checked, God wants us to love others so where does this happen when you are using an app to only communicate with the people you care about. 
  
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I admit I am not the smartest person when it comes to certain technology.  I love the conveniences of some technology because it makes it easier for me to carry my Bible and search scripture.  I think there are times where technology can be detrimental to us by taking away from our time with You.  Help me to not get so caught up in the newest technology, that I sacrifice my time with You. I love the simplicity of just holding my Bible.  I can feel your presence in the pages. 

Scripture:  Be Steadfast


Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures. You therefore, beloved, since you know this beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked; but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen.  2 Peter 3:14-18

No comments:

Post a Comment