Thursday, August 18, 2016

Is Your Home Monitoring You?

Prayer is the way and means God has appointed for the communication of the blessings of His goodness to His people.  A.W. Pink

Am I the only person who sometimes finds technology intrusive and dehumanizing?  Here is an example.  My husband and I went to dinner last week and we were talking and we looked over and there was a couple at the table next to us who were both on their phones.  By that I mean they were reading text messages and scanning the web or friending or linking someone.    My husband made the comment that they were probably texting each other across the table.  Dinner table conversation has disappeared.

Since we’re on the subject of technology I read about these new sensors that you can place in each room of your house that will determine certain factors related to your health and well-being.  There are seven different sensors that measure temperature, humidity, noise, light, air quality, weather pressure and accelerometer.

So my first question is; what is an accelerometer?  Glad you asked.  It is an electromagnetic device that measures acceleration forces.  Sounds kind of like Star Trek lingo. So my next question was what would I ever use this for? The information I found said you can measure the tilt of or direction something is going with respect to gravity.  So I guess if you are tilting too far one way a sensor will go off and then laugh when you fall.  It can tell if your dog is barking non-stop while you are at work and it can tell if your house is emitting too much CO2.  I do see some useful aspects of this gizmo.  It is used in our cars to determine when to release the airbag in a crash.  Good information to know.

All of these things sound great until they are put into practice.  I am all for advancement in technology, although I may not know how to work it when I get it.  So you have a sensor that is notifying you when your spouse is snoring. So I would like to know what the fix is for a snoring spouse.  Do you kick them to the curb?  And what is it with the glow.  I can’t sleep as it is with my husband’s alarm clock that has 3 inch numbers that glow. How will I ever sleep with a sensor that glows different colors depending on the issue.

I have a solution for all of the things that are affecting our health and well-being at home.  We need to all move out to the country where all you ever see are the moon and stars.  We could sit on the back porch and actually converse with each other.  If we sell our cars we won’t have to worry about smog or CO2 emissions and if the hubby or wife snores you can move them to the hammock on the back porch.  If you are living in the middle of nowhere you won’t have to worry about the dog barking or keeping the neighbors awake.  You won’t have any neighbors near enough to hear your dog.  When you need a little entertainment you just have a barn raising and invite all the far away neighbors over for BBQ. Instead of sitting around watching TV we could take a walk around the property.  Imagine that, getting exercise and cutting down on the noise pollution all at the same time.    
  
Too many times I think we make things more complicated than they need to be.  We are gradually eliminating the need for relationships with technology.  If we spent half as much time spending quiet time with God we would get better reception from Him and live happier and healthier lives. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, each time I read about some new technological invention I wonder about how it will affect the way we build relationships.  Will we even have any relationships at all when technology does everything for us?  I praise you for giving me relationships that aren’t associated with my phone and the internet.  I enjoy the ease of communicating with those who live far away, but I think we are sacrificing relationships with others by depending too much on our gizmos and gadgets.  Thank you for the opportunities I have to physically talk to others in person and for allowing me to speak directly to You without having to resort to a communication device. 
             

Scripture: Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.


For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.  Romans 12:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment