Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Hidden

As Christians, we are called to maintain lives that can be "toured" by outsiders at any time, without embarrassment. A commitment to holiness means having a life that is always "ready for company" and open for inspection - a life that can stand up to scrutiny - not just in the obvious things, but in the hidden places where most might not think to look.  Nancy Leigh DeMoss

Are you ready for company?  If someone knocks on your door are you ready to open it and let them in. 

Writing these devotionals has helped me tremendously.  I have told stories of my life that some people have never heard.  By some people I mean the people closest to me, my family and closest friends.

What purpose does it serve to reveal the hidden things in your life?  For one thing, the majority of hidden things are often sin.  Why else would we hide them? We don’t want anyone to find out that we are not perfect.  We don’t want anyone to know that we failed.  We don’t want to admit that we are not God. 

We elevate ourselves above God when we decide we will keep our sin hidden from others.  If we think our sin is hidden and convince everyone around us that we are good and that no one will know, we are separating ourselves from God.  The problem is God knows.  When we figure out that God knows every wrong we have ever committed, that is the first step we take in His direction. 

When we realize that God knows, we then take that second step which is asking for forgiveness from the One who created us.  The next step is one of the most critical.  For us to be healed from the sin that entraps us we need to reveal that sin to someone else.  The thing about this step is we have to be careful who we reveal it to.  If we don’t choose someone who is trustworthy and understands that we are human with human failings, we could be opening ourselves up to ridicule and that can cause us to return to hiding our sin.  If we are not sharing our sin with others we are not opening up that door for another person’s intercessory prayers on our behalf.

Keeping our sin hidden can only happen with people just like us.  Sinners.  If we want to step out onto God’s path and walk toward Him, we must first confess the sin to someone we trust and ask that person to pray for us.  Too many times I think we choose the wrong person to confess our sin to and the reaction we get from that person can send us back into hiding again.  Choose wisely and confess openly.    
   
      
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am a sinner.  I am on a path that Satan tries daily to throw things my way that will make me stumble.  Help me to choose wisely the people I confide in so that I will not fall into Satan’s trap of trying to hide my sin thinking no one will know.  You know every sin I have committed and You forgive me over and over again.  Thank You for showing me grace and mercy when I don’t deserve it.  My trust is in You and I love and praise You. 

Scripture: Separated from God


Behold, the Lord’s hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear.  But your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear.  For your hands are defiled with blood, and your fingers with iniquity; your lips have spoken lies, Your tongue has muttered perversity.  Isaiah 59:1-3


And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.  Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.  Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months.  And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit.  James 5:15-18

No comments:

Post a Comment