Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Isaac

Faith in Action

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.  Hebrews 11:1-3

I was discussing Abraham and Isaac with my Dad and Mom. First, I must say that I don’t have nor will I ever have all the answers of the Bible.  However, the more I read it the more it draws me in.  The more I read and don’t understand, the more I study.  I believe that each of us is searching for the truth and that is the most important piece of the Bible puzzle. 

Someone asked me a question that I didn’t have an answer to.  When that happens I don’t automatically respond because I need time to study.  I am going to share with you the question and then give you my response.  The question was “Why would God ask Abraham to sacrifice Isaac? 

In Genesis 17:19 God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.

In the above verse God told Abraham that his wife Sarah would bear a son and call him Isaac.  An important part of the verse is “with his seed after him.”  God was telling Abraham that He would establish a covenant with Isaac and also Isaac’s children.  If God said he was making a covenant with Isaac and his seed after him then Isaac was not destined to die on an altar. 

In Hebrews 11:17-19 says that “By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, of whom it was said, that in Isaac shall thy seed be called: accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.”  So if Abraham had faith in God to allow Abraham to kill his only son, then he also had faith that God could raise him from the dead if Abraham killed him. 

I think the biggest struggle I have is the understanding that I am human and God is not.  I keep trying to put God, a square peg so to speak, into a round hole.  The thing is God just doesn’t fit what I in my limited perspective and capacity can understand.  I also believe that God knew what was to come, Jesus dying on the cross to save us, and this was a foreshadowing of God sacrificing His only Son just as Abraham was willing to sacrifice Isaac. 

Abraham had more than 100 years of time with God and he was faithful.  I believe the reason God asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac was because he wanted to teach us what faith really is and give us a picture of what our life should be like.  If we ever get that amount of faith we won’t question why God does anything. If we understand that he does all things for our good then we can be at peace knowing that He is a Great God who wants what is best for His children.
 
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, my faith is small compared to Abraham’s.  I think Abraham’s faith was to be used as an example so that we could see a picture of what faith is in action.  I often question Your hand in my life when what I need most is to let go and let You lead.  Faith takes a step at a time and for a human like me, I am sometimes scared to take a step out in faith.  It is choosing to step to the edge of a cliff and jump. Too many times we want a safety net.  We want absolutes. If I take that step of faith I want guarantees that You will be there to catch me.  Help me to understand that You mean “everything” for my good.  If I can grasp that one thing then I have received the blessing of wisdom.  I praise You for opening my eyes to your Scriptures and for giving me wisdom when I least expect it.
 

Scripture: By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, of whom it was said, that in Isaac shall thy seed be called:


Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.  Hebrews 11:17-19

No comments:

Post a Comment