Monday, April 17, 2017

Self-Control  

A silly idea is current that good people do not know what temptation means. This is an obvious lie. Only those who try to resist temptation know how strong it is.... A man who gives in to temptation after five minutes simply does not know what it would have been like an hour later. That is why bad people, in one sense, know very little about badness. They have lived a sheltered life by always giving in. ~C.S. Lewis

Self-control is necessary because we are in a fight with ourselves and the problem lies within our own heart.  One of my biggest struggles has always been to not retaliate when someone attacks me.  It would be so much easier to just say what I think and not worry about who is hurt by my words or actions. 

Self-control is an essential character trait of the godly person that enables obedience to God’s Word.   “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” Luke 9:23 The literal Greek meaning of self is “inner strength” and control conveys the idea of allowing sound judgment to control our desires, appetites, thoughts emotions and actions.  When you put the two together sound judgment enables us to determine “what” we should do and “how” we should respond with the inner strength to follow through. 

Jerry Bridges in his book “The Fruitful Life” states it best I think.  “Self-control is the exercise of inner strength under the direction of sound judgment that enables us to do, think, and say the things that are pleasing to God.”

Emotions play a big role in self-control.  These include anger, rage, resentment, self-pity and bitterness. If we have an uncontrolled temper this is a contradiction to our practice of godliness.  An uncontrolled temper damages the self-respect of others, creates bitterness and destroys relationships.  “Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city.”  (Proverbs 16-32)  This describes how a patient man is better because he fights a daily battle with self-control, whereas a warrior fights to take the city one day and then moves on to the next battle.

Sound judgment is the beginning of self-control.  In order for us to exercise sound judgment we must first know where our own weakness is.  We are all different and each of us suffers with self-control issues.  Where one person may struggle with self-pity another may struggle with spiritual pride.  We must look inward to determine where our lack of self-control lies and the tool we should use to overcome it is God’s Word. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, there are so many times when I lack self-control.  I want my actions to be pleasing in your sight but I know that I must spend time with You.  This is the only way I can be more like You.  I am weak but I know with Your help I can become strong.  Please help me in my weakness.    
                  

Scripture:   But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Galatians 5:22-24

No comments:

Post a Comment