Thursday, November 29, 2012


Work  

God gave us two ends - one to sit on and one to think with. Success depends on which one you use. Head you win, tail you lose. ~Author Unknown

I used to think of work as a means to an end.  If I worked hard at my job I would get paid and then I could provide whatever resources I needed to survive.  The problem with this type of thinking is that I was not working for the right reason.  The other side of this is that it was all about “me”. 
From the beginning of time God created Adam and Eve to work.  They were to tend the Garden of Eden and to spend time with God.  The problem came when they thought they could do it better than God. 

God created each of us with skills and abilities that meet various needs.  Our work is not just a means in which we can earn money to pay the bills or become successful.  Our work should be used as the primary path of our Christian walk where we do good deeds so that others may see God through us. 

We spend the majority of our time at work and opportunities abound to do good works for God in every aspect of our work.  When we do those good works it makes people take notice.  Why?  Because most people will not take the time to do good works because that would take away from their primary goal to make money and become successful. 
So many times we get so involved in what we are doing that we don’t notice the other people around us that might need a helping hand.  I had an incident where an older lady was walking up to the grocery store and I was walking up at the same time.  The grocery carts were a distance from the entrance to the store so as I walked up I asked her if I could get her a basket.  She looked at me as if I had grown two heads.  She didn’t respond and kept walking but at least I knew I had done what God would have wanted me to do.  The thing we need to remember is that we won’t always get acknowledgement for good deeds here on earth.  But the most important One of all knows and that is what makes the difference.

Success to me doesn’t mean how much money I have or the things I own.  Success means doing God’s will and helping others where possible.  True success will come in heaven not here on earth.
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I want to use the talents you gave me for Your Glory.  In all I do I want to always think of You and what it means for Your Kingdom.  Please always remind me that my work is part of what You created me to do so that others would come to know You.             

Scripture:  For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works. “Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.” Matthew 16:26-28

 

No comments:

Post a Comment