Thursday, December 20, 2012


Faithfulness  

"Success certainly isn’t achievement of popularity. Success in God’s kingdom is loving God, loving one another, and being faithful to what He’s called us to do.” Gabriel Wilson

Faithfulness:  the act of being true to one’s word, promises and steady in allegiance or affection; loyal; constant; reliable, trusted or believed.

God is faithful.  The Bible is filled with instances of God’s faithfulness to His people.  In order for us to become more like God in our character, we will need to have faithfulness as a high priority.  In Proverbs 20:6 it states “Many people will profess faithfulness, but very few will demonstrate it.  The reason for this is because it will cost us and few are willing to pay the price.
This means that we must be dependable, honest and ethical in all relationships.  This means not just your family or friends, but also your boss, coworkers and anyone else you come in contact with on a daily basis.

One of the biggest hindrances to any Christian is lying.  Lying is any deceit: in word, act, attitude or silence; in deliberate exaggerations, in distortions of the truth, or in creating false impressions. When we pretend to be something we are not we lie.  I am the first to admit this sin used to confront me daily and still does.  When I rededicated my life to Christ I had to take a hard look at myself and I didn’t like what I saw.  I wanted to fit in so to do that I had to become like everyone else and that wasn’t who I really was.  We can get so caught up in the things of this temporary life that we lose sight of who and Whose we really are. 

Here is an example of how this can happen in our daily life and then become a habit.  Have you ever been given a gift and not really liked it or thought that is just not me? Then that person who gave you the gift comes back and asks if you liked the gift and you lie and say you loved it. Here is another example.  A little girl down the street stopped by and brought a plate of cookies to your house.  A few days later she is riding her bicycle by your house and asks you if you liked the cookies.  So you tell her they were fine, yet you had not even tasted them. 
I know some may think this is going too far in saying these are lies but I think they are.  It is what one writer calls “social lying.” We become so used to fudging the truth here and there that it becomes a habit and then it so easily leads us to bigger lies.  In James 5:17 the story talks about Daniel and his honesty.  Then there is Jesus who one day asked his enemies, “Can any of you prove me guilty of sin?” John 8:46.

When you break it down to everyday life instances, the practice of total honesty will help us become more honest and faithful in daily circumstances.  This prepares us for the really big issues.  I am working on this in my life.  It is a struggle I admit, but I know it is what God expects of me.   

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, it is not always easy to be honest and have integrity in this world.  There are so many people that are out to take advantage of others or cheat others out of something.  This pervades our society and it is so easy to get caught up in it and to think that one little lie won’t matter.  It matters to You and that is important to me.  Please help me with this sin in my life.  I want to become more like Jesus and bring faithfulness in to every corner of my life so that others may see it.   Thank you for loving me anyway even when I am not faithful.                    
Scripture:   He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much.”  Luke 16:10

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment