Monday, December 17, 2012


Gentleness  

Perhaps no grace is less prayed for, or less cultivated than gentleness.  Indeed it is considered rather as belonging to natural disposition or external manners, than as a Christian virtue; and seldom do we reflect that not to be gentle is sin.  George Bethune

Do you ever pray for gentleness?  There are times in my life when I just don’t have gentleness.  I think there are times when we don’t value gentleness as much as God does and therefore we don’t cultivate it in our lives.  The thing is gentleness is a fruit of the Spirit and should be pursued as much as kindness, love, joy, self-control….

Gentleness is often confused with meekness.  Meekness is another Christian trait but it is passive meaning that it should be our Christian response to those who mistreat us.  Gentleness is an active trait that concerns our treatment of others.  What happens with gentleness is that we are concerned with how we treat others and are understanding of their rights.

One of the personal examples I use to illustrate the opposite of gentleness is the manager I once had when I first started working.  I was fresh out of high school had started college.  I was working an internship for school and I was offered a better position that would enable me to gain additional knowledge in my chosen field.  I decided to turn in my resignation and when I did my manager told me quote “You will never amount to anything.” 

We often don’t think about how words affect those around us.  God continually shows us gentleness and he wants us to do the same for others.  Our tongues have a tendency to be our worst enemy.  We can do more damage with the things we say to each other than if we physically abused them. 

One of my favorite passages shows the very gentleness of Jesus.  “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  Matthew 11:28-30.  I think these verses reflect the very peaceful and restful feeling others will feel around us when we practice gentleness, so they will understand what a loving God is all about.  Jesus offers rest because he is gentle and those who do not know Christ should feel the same gentleness around us.

Have you ever been around someone who breaks you down every time you see them?  You know those people who tell you they are outspoken and say whatever comes to mind without regard to the feelings of others and then they tell you that’s just the way they are.  Sometimes the only way we will show others Christ is to be gentle. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am sometimes not gentle with others and I know this is a trait that is important as a Christian. I pray that you will remind me of the fruit of the Spirit called gentleness.  Help me to show others the gentleness You have shown me so that I can cultivate this in my everyday life.   
Scripture:   But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.  Galatians 5:22-26

No comments:

Post a Comment