Friday, December 14, 2012


My Father’s Eyes  

"People who tend to go after money as a solution for whatever they feel they lack had better be careful what they pray for, because they just may get it."– Eric Clapton

I listen to my iPod sometimes on my way to work.  Sometimes I will randomly select a song from my playlist.  I have a very eclectic list of music.  I love the saxophone and guitar.  I am often touched by music and it will often bring me to tears. 

One of my favorite songs is My Father’s Eyes by Eric Clapton.  This happened to be my choice of music this morning.  I find it interesting how someone will write a song that will mean different things to different people. 

In this instance the song that Eric Clapton wrote was about his own father whom he never met but I think influenced his many addictions and downhill spiral for many years.  He went through many tragedies including the death of his 4 year old son when he fell from a 53 story building. 

Isn’t it true that we often do our very best work during times of tragedy?  I think this happens because our hearts are at their most broken.  When we are being crushed by grief we are at our most vulnerable which allows us to see our Father's eyes.      

In this song he sings about his father.  What it reminds me of is my Heavenly Father.  The following are the lyrics to “My Father’s Eyes”.  In this song I feel the very presence of my Father in heaven who redeems, restores and loves.  I can’t wait to look into my Father’s eyes. I am waiting for the Prince to come. 

Sailing down behind the sun,
Waiting for my prince to come.
Praying for the healing rain
To restore my soul again.

Just a toe rag on the run.
How did I get here?
What have I done?
When will all my hopes arise?
How will I know him?
When I look in my father’s eyes.
My father’s eyes.
When I look in my father’s eyes.
My father’s eyes.

Then the light begins to shine
And I hear those ancient lullabies.
And as I watch this seedling grow,
Feel my heart start to overflow.

Where do I find the words to say?
How do I teach him?
What do we play?
Bit by bit, I’ve realized
That's when I need them,
That's when I need my father’s eyes.
My father’s eyes.
That's when I need my father’s eyes.
My father’s eyes.

Then the jagged edge appears
Through the distant clouds of tears.
I’m like a bridge that was washed away;
My foundations were made of clay.

As my soul slides down to die.
How could I lose him?
What did I try?
Bit by bit, I’ve realized
That he was here with me;
I looked into my father’s eyes.
My father’s eyes.
I looked into my father’s eyes.
My father’s eyes.

My father’s eyes.
My father’s eyes.
I looked into my father’s eyes.
My father’s eyes.   

My Father’s Eyes Lyrics by Eric Clapton

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, thank you for touching my heart with music.  Sometimes I feel closest to you when I am listening to music and the lyrics written by musicians.  I praise you for blessing others with musical talents so that I can feel your presence through the music they create.  I praise You My Heavenly Father and Your Son who died for my sin. 
Scripture:   For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment