Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A Shining Light

We are told to let our light shine, and if it does, we won't need to tell anybody it does. Lighthouses don't fire cannons to call attention to their shining- they just shine.  D.L. Moody
It is so good to be back with you.  I missed my time with you last week.  We were at an event last week for my parent’s business and I have many stories to share with you.

Have you ever thought about how you show the world God’s light?  God intends for each of us to be a light to show others who He is and in the process He will be glorified. 
Many years ago we would spend several weeks every summer with some of our family in Austin.  I have an aunt who would take all of us (by all of us I mean 7 kids ranging in age from 9 to 13) to various sites around Austin.  Aunt May would take us to the State Capitol, to museums and we even went to Inner Space Caverns.  My aunt was a brave soul to take 7 kids on these trips.

One of my favorites was the Inner Space Caverns.  The Texas Highway Department found the caverns while drilling and they turned it into a park.  You would buy a ticket and a tour guide would take you down into the caverns where you could see all types of rock formations.  The tour guide would take you down into the middle of the caves and then they would turn the lights out.  If you have ever heard the term “pitch black” that is the best way to describe it.  You could put your hand in front of your face and see nothing.  It was a scary feeling. It was startling when they turned the lights back on.   
I thought about that long ago trip and it made me think about God and His Light. He is glorified when we show others His Light by the way we treat each other.  When we see someone in need and offer help His Light shines.  If we show kindness to someone who has harmed us, His Light is revealed.  If we are to ever truly understand what living in the Light is all about, we must step out in faith and reflect that very thing to others.

Are you hiding your light under a bushel or are you a light to the world? We have to look outside of ourselves to shine our light.  You can live in darkness or be a light to the world.  
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I want to be a light to the world.  The only way I can do that is to set aside self and do for others.  In a world where kindness is sorely lacking in the majority of people, help me to show others who You are by my daily actions.  When people see Your Light shining in me, I pray that You will be glorified.
Scripture: “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.  Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.  Matthew 5:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment