Monday, November 25, 2013

Solomon’s Wisdom

Absalom, who was a fool, wished himself a judge; Solomon, who was a wise man, trembles at the undertaking, and suspects his own fitness for it. The more knowing and considerate men are, the better they are acquainted with their own weakness. Matthew Henry

I love to read about Solomon.  I always find it interesting that Solomon didn’t ask for wealth.  He was raised by King David to love God.  God appeared to Solomon in a dream and because Solomon didn’t ask for anything but a discerning heart to govern God’s people and to distinguish right from wrong, God gave him what he asked.  But God went a step further and gave him both wealth and honor.
My dreams seem pretty insignificant compared to Solomon’s.  Missing the school bus pales in comparison.  Can you imagine God appearing to you in a dream and telling you because he is pleased with you he is going to give you discernment but on top of that he is going to give you wealth and honor?

I think we see a tiny glimpse of God’s great wisdom in Solomon.  Remember the two women who lived in the same house and both had a child but one child died.  They both claimed the living child.  When they came to Solomon he said to cut the child in half and give one half to each woman.  The one who was the true mother told Solomon to give the live child to the other. The true mother was willing to give up her child so he could live. 
Have you ever prayed for brokenness so that you can gain wisdom?  Most of you would think that is crazy to pray for brokenness.  I have prayed for brokenness in my lifetime.  Why?  Because when I am broken is when I am closest to God.  During the lowest points of my life is when I have gained the most wisdom from God.  That very brokenness draws me nearer to my Creator. That brokenness removes the superficial and reveals truth in my life.  At those times it shows me the sinner that needs a redeemer.   

So if brokenness is what it takes to help me see a glimpse of Solomon’s wisdom in my life I will gladly accept it.  God can do amazing things through me in my brokenness.  
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, in 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 you tell us to give thanks “in” all circumstances for it is Your will for me in Christ Jesus.  I praise you for the wisdom You have given me during the trials of my life.  It has taught me to lean on You through every circumstance and You have never failed me.  I praise You for loving me even when I fail You.   

Scripture: Now, Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of my father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties. Your servant is here among the people you have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number. So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong. For who is able to govern this great people of yours?”

The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this.  So God said to him, “Since you have asked for this and not for long life or wealth for yourself, nor have asked for the death of your enemies but for discernment in administering justice, I will do what you have asked. I will give you a wise and discerning heart, so that there will never have been anyone like you, nor will there ever be.  Moreover, I will give you what you have not asked for—both wealth and honor—so that in your lifetime you will have no equal among kings. And if you walk in obedience to me and keep my decrees and commands as David your father did, I will give you a long life.” Then Solomon awoke—and he realized it had been a dream. 1 Kings 3:7-15

No comments:

Post a Comment