Friday, December 27, 2013

Put God First

When you seek God first in your daily pursuits, He promises to add unto you those things which you were pursuing (as long as they are in His will). Placing Him first in your life should be your daily goal, the main pursuit in the midst of all your other pursuits. Paul Chappell
If you have not chosen the Kingdom of God first, it will in the end make no difference what you have chosen instead.  William Law

In the busy world we live in one of the most important decisions we will ever make, besides choosing salvation, is to put God first.  Not first in some things or a few things or only the things that are involved with our church.  God must come first in everything. If we ever get our arms wrapped around that truth, He will set us free. 
What does it mean to us once we put God at the top of all of our lists of things to do?  It means when we decide to buy something we think about God first.  If we decide to leave our job or apply for a new one, He must come first if we are to have any success in our endeavors. When we receive our paycheck God should be the first one we think of when we think about what to do with it.  What about your hobbies?  Do you put him first when you decide what recreational activities you will spend your time doing?  Then there are the friends we choose to spend time with.  Do we make wise choices when choosing friends? We are all sinners, but if we are addicted to drugs or alcohol, it is probably not a good thing to spend all of our time with alcoholics or drug addicts.  If we spend all of our time socializing with someone who has the same weakness, it makes it that much easier to fall back into the very sin we are trying to avoid.     

God shouldn’t only be first when we are in trouble.  Too many times we go to Him when things are falling apart and we ask Him to fix it.  Then when things get better we take off for other pursuits.  We become selfish and self-serving. 
This is one of my biggest struggles in life.  Instead of jumping in with both feet I should really be testing the God water.  If it doesn’t pass the God test then He has already given me a resounding no.  But too many times I think I know what is best for me so I jump on that train only to find a wreck at the end. 

One of the most important things we can do in our life is to “Trust Him”.   He knows what is best for us and He means it all for good.  If we aren’t spending quiet time with Him, meditating on His Word and putting Him first in everything, we will never see the amazing life He intends for us to live.  
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I have failed at this very thing so many times.  I have failed to put You first in my life and when whatever I am pursuing fails I look around and think “How did that happen?”  I already have the answer to that.  When I become selfish and start thinking only of me and what I want, then I have missed the point of living a life worthy of You. 
      
Scripture: Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!  How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! “Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?”  “Who has ever given to God, that God should repay them?”  For from him and through him and for him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen.  Romans 11:33-36

No comments:

Post a Comment