Thursday, December 19, 2013

Saying No & Busyness

One reason we are so harried and hurried is that we make yesterday and tomorrow our business, when all that legitimately concerns us is today. If we really have too much to do, there are some items on the agenda which God did not put there. Let us submit the list to Him and ask Him to indicate which items we must delete. There is always time to do the will of God. If we are too busy to do that, we are too busy.  Elisabeth Elliot

Are you busy?  Yesterday one of the ladies I work with came by my office and she was talking about how busy she is this week.  She had four parties to go to this week, was hosting a party for the children’s group at her church, had stayed up until 4:00am the night before getting her house ready for a party and wrapping gifts and she was stressed.  She was concerned about how she would get her table set with the china and silver before the party at her house and if she would have the right flower arrangements.  I asked her why she didn’t use paper or plastic.  She gave me the most horrified look. 
It made me tired listening to her and all the things she “needed” to do.  Too many times I think we are busy to be busy.  Other times we are running to and fro because we feel guilty.  We ask ourselves, “What would happen if I didn’t attend the Christmas party I have attended for the past five years? What would everyone think if I didn’t throw my annual Christmas party or attend the neighbor’s party?" 

I used to be this person.  I worried over setting the table, making sure the cloth napkins were placed just so on the table and all the silverware was in the right place.  I ran from party to party with the best of them.  This all happened the week before Christmas and I still had to cook Christmas lunch or dinner for twelve.  So I would stay up until 2:00 or 3:00am cooking only to be worn out on Christmas day. 
I know, about now you are saying, Ms. Manners would kick me to the curb for suggesting my co-worker use paper or plastic.  In today’s society where “rude” is the norm, I think there is a need for manners.  But in my uneducated and limited view, I don’t think my not using the families silverware or grandmother’s dishes plays a great role in how God sees me. 

Several years ago this all came to an end for me.  I was diagnosed with cancer in October and had no hair by Christmas.  I was looking at the world through a different lens.  My biggest concern was having the energy to get up and cooking didn’t even cross my mind.  I didn’t attend parties that year and I didn’t really miss them. That was the year I learned how to say no.  No to busyness.  Busyness, especially around the holidays just sucked the life right out of me.
So for what they are worth, here are my thoughts about not being able to say no and busyness.  When you learn to say no it frees you. If frees your mind to focus on the reason for the season and gives you more time to pay respect to the One who died for our sins on a cross.  It teaches us to be thankful for what we have and not worry about what we don’t.  Busyness took my focus off of what was important so I don’t do it anymore.  So if you are ever invited to my home for a celebration or meal, most likely the menu will include something catered and the utensils, plates and cups will be of the paper or plastic variety.  What you will get at my party is good conversation, laughter and love.  I have plenty of that to go around and in my life that is more important than any social event that is missing that ingredient.        

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I sometimes find myself accepting invitations to various events and the more I accept the busier I become the more my focus strays from You.  Help me to keep my focus on You and the many blessings you have given me.  I will forsake another party for quiet time with you.  My hope is in You and I am at peace when I rest in Your presence.            
Scripture: “Lord, make me to know my end, and what is the measure of my days, that I may know how frail I am.  Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths, and my age is as nothing before You; certainly every man at his best state is but vapor.  Surely every man walks about like a shadow; surely they busy themselves in vain; he heaps up riches, and does not know who will gather them. “And now, Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in You.  Psalm 39:4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment