Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Compensation

Do something for somebody every day for which you do not get paid.  Albert Schweitzer

I read this quote and I started thinking about how this one statement could change a person’s life for eternity.  What would happen if each one of us did something for somebody each day and didn’t get paid for it?
 
In a world where money has become an obsession, we are always asking ourselves, “What’s in it for me?”  “If I do this what will I get in return?” 

If you look at this from a heavenly perspective, Jesus is the best example of someone doing for others and getting death on a cross in return.  This was the worst return on investment that ever occurred in the world.  In His time on earth what did He really get out of doing things for others without getting paid for it? 

So if I list the things he received for his investment of love what would it look like?

1.     He was spit on
2.     Ridiculed
3.     His character was defamed
4.     Beaten
5.     Mocked
6.     Condemned
7.     Nailed to a cross

So if the Son of God gave His all for us and this is what he received in return, it is kind of discouraging; or is it?  In the short time Jesus was on the earth He saved, and not money but lives for eternity.  By giving of himself without getting paid, He offered you and me the opportunity of a lifetime; to spend eternity with our Heavenly Father.  Today Jesus sits at the right hand of God.  That is better than any paycheck as far as I am concerned. 

We come from the ultimate broken family, Adam and Eve.  We can blame them and say that it is their fault for our circumstances, but in reality we play just as big a part in the way this world will turn out for eternity.  Do you want to be compensated now or in heaven?  We each have the freedom to choose.  When we choose to help others we are storing up treasure in heaven.  Money can be taken away but heaven’s treasure is eternal and everlasting.  Which will you choose?

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of depending on money more than I should.  My time on earth is not meant to be spent acquiring.  If I do for others without expecting something in return, my life will reflect why Jesus died on the cross.  He gave His all for an ungrateful people so that we could have the opportunity to spend eternity with Him.  Help me to focus on the sacrifice that was made for me and not what I can get out of this world.  It is temporary at best and I want eternal. 

Scripture: Later He appeared to the eleven as they sat at the table; and He rebuked their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they did not believe those who had seen Him after He had risen. And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.” So then, after the Lord had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God.  And they went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the word through the accompanying signs. Amen.  Mark 16:14-20

No comments:

Post a Comment