Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Decrepitude

The only way the corporate Body of Christ will fulfill the mission Christ has given it is for individual Christians to have a vision for fulfilling that mission personally.  David Meremiah

de·crep·i·tude – decrepit condition; dilapidated state; feebleness, especially from old age.

I must admit I really like this word.  It really sounds great rolling off my tongue.  The problem is I am getting closer and closer to being in this state.  The state of decrepitude.  You know how they used to say you needed an attitude adjustment.  I may soon need a decrepitude adjustment.

The world offers me all kinds of things to fix my “decrepitudeness” (I don’t think this word is in the dictionary so maybe it will be added next year).  I can get Botox, fillers, new teeth in two days or pull out all the old ones if I prefer, then there are collagen injections to give me smooth skin and a permanent surprised look on my face.  I can get gel nails, hair extensions and hair removal. The interesting thing is; that is not going to change the fact that I will eventually fall into decrepitudeness.  

When Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden decrepitudeness didn’t exist; until a snake in the grass offered them an apple they couldn’t refuse.  When that happened we started the downhill slide into decrepitudeness.  They could have lived in a perfect garden forever walking with God.  

One of the most amazing things to me is that it doesn’t matter how decrepit we get, we can still be used by God to further his kingdom.  God didn’t give up on a fallen world.  He still gives each of us the opportunity to be redeemed.  There will come a day when the sorrows, pain and suffering of this world will come to an end.  I look forward to that day, but until then I think I will let nature take its course and let decrepitudeness in.  It is an inevitable fact of life and all the chemicals of today that are used to make me look younger will eventually move somewhere I don’t want them to, so I will refrain from denying my decrepitudeness and press on.
 
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, as I get older and my body sometimes fails me it reminds me that I am still useful to You.  As long as there is another person on earth that needs a Savior, there will always be a need for me to pursue them for You.  I am Your feet and hands and even though they may get slower with time, I can still be used for Your purpose.


Scripture: The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree, he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon.  Those who are planted in the house of the Lord shall flourish in the courts of our God.  They shall still bear fruit in old age; they shall be fresh and flourishing, to declare that the Lord is upright; He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him. Psalm 92:12-15

No comments:

Post a Comment