Thursday, July 17, 2014

A Product of the 70’s

Our songs are not the cause of our loss of the sense of God's greatness, though songs are surprisingly influential. No, our songs reflect this loss. Singing God-centered hymns is desirable, but more than that is needed. We sing what we feel, what we believe. When once we rediscover the greatness of God, we will sing it. Our song will echo our conviction. Tom Wells

I am a product of the 70’s.  I often wonder why people say that.  Maybe because those were my formative years where outside influences are the things that stick with you because the world is in your face.  Some of you may have heard of the things I am going to list about the times of the 70’s and others will have to Google it to figure out what I am talking about. 

The 70’s  were a time of parachute pants and earth shoes, Farrah Fawcett hair, platform shoes and eight track players.  The Trans Am was the favorite muscle car and video games like Pong and the Atari were the rage.  There were no cell phones so you had to depend on a stranger for help if you got stranded on the road.  DOS was the operating system for those who even owned one. 

Music was different then.  Everything centered around peace and love.  Joy to the World was a big hit and One Bad Apple wouldn’t spoil the whole bunch.  We all wanted to go to Sweet Home Alabama to find out How Can You Mend a Broken Heart.  Everyone wanted to do the Crocodile Rock and the Monster Mash.  For those of us who couldn’t spell there was ABC and YMCA.  Then there were the love songs.  I’m All By Myself, Pickin Up the Pieces.  Don’t Go Breaking My Heart was a common theme but we then sang Love Will Keep Us Together.
   
If you think about it things haven’t changed much.  We still get broken hearts and we still look for love in all the wrong places. One of my best memories from growing up during these formative years was singing in church.  Songs from church weren’t about the angst of life.  They were about turning to the One who made us for deliverance.  We could Have a Little Talk with Jesus, I Saw the Light and A Closer Walk with Thee.  There was Power in the Blood, In the Sweet By and By and Precious Lord Take My Hand.  There was Victory in Jesus, Leaning on the Everlasting Arms and What a Day That Will Be.  

The thing about the old hymns is that I remember the words to all the songs.  When I return to listen to them it is like I am returning home.  Bart Millard from the group Mercy Me has a CD that contains just old hymns.  It is one of my favorites because it brings back those long ago memories of Jesus my Lord and Savior and reminds me of how much I owe Him.
 
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I thank you for blessing me with parents who knew the value of a Christian life.  When I was in church all those years ago, I can still remember the songs of praise for You.  Thank You for reminding me of the importance of worship and loving You.      

Scripture: For this cause everyone who is godly shall pray to You in a time when You may be found; surely in a flood of great waters they shall not come near him.  You are my hiding place; You shall preserve me from trouble; You shall surround me with songs of deliverance. I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will guide you with My eye.  Psalm 32:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment