Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Making Sense of It All

Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. Adrian Rogers

Have you ever tried to make sense of something in your life that doesn’t come close to making sense?  In our human minds there will be times when God does things that will not make sense to us. 

Too many times we pursue sense.  We want order and control in our life and when we don’t have it we worry or work at fixing everything so that our life is restored to order or we are in control again so that we feel like it all makes sense.

Have you figured out that God is in control of everything and unless we place our faith in Him, we will never have the peace and joy we long for?  If I don’t trust God to guide me and guard my path, I will miss the greatest blessings that He wants for me.  The hardest part is to let go.  God wants a relationship with each of us but too many times we hinder that relationship because we think if we try harder or work harder or do more, we can make sense of it all and everything will fall into place.
 
I would say that the majority of the time things are not going to make sense when it comes to God’s work in our lives.  How does God show us His greatness?  It is not going to come from doing things the way we think they should be done.  When God works, amazing things happen that cannot be explained any other way except that only God could do it. 

Remember the story of Simon who was a fisherman by trade.  They had fished all day but caught nothing.  Jesus climbed into their boat and told Simon to launch into the deep water and let down their nets for a catch.  Simon had been fishing all night and caught nothing so he thought it was necessary to tell Jesus that, (like Jesus didn’t already know they had been fishing all night and hadn’t caught anything). Simon at least had enough faith to do what Jesus said even though it didn’t make sense to him.
   
God does the unexpected every time.  He wants us to understand that His ways are not our ways.  When we finally figure that out, God can then do great things in our life.  Give up trying to make sense of everything and follow Him in whatever He asks you to do.  That is how we begin to see how truly great He is.    

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, when You do things in my life it is used to teach me great lessons if I believe in You.  Every time You do something I am amazed.  It reminds me of how small I am and how great You are.  The greatest lesson I can learn is to place my trust in You for the outcome and stop trying to make sense of it all.   

Scripture: When He had stopped speaking, He said to Simon, “Launch out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.”


But Simon answered and said to Him, “Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing; nevertheless at Your word I will let down the net.” And when they had done this, they caught a great number of fish, and their net was breaking. So they signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink. When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!”  Luke 5:4-8

No comments:

Post a Comment