Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Why Are We Surprised?

No sin which we are capable of committing has ever taken God by surprise for He knew we were just like that.  Alan Redpath

Within each of us exists the image of God, however disfigured and corrupted by sin it may presently be. God is able to recover this image through grace as we are conformed to Christ.  Alister McGrath

Do you ever rebel against God?  Every one of us since God created Adam and Eve have rebelled against God.  It is that rebellion that caused the fall of the world.  When Adam and Eve failed we were born into a family of failures. It’s kind of depressing when you think about it.  The sad part is we continue in our ancestors footsteps. 

I can’t even count the number of times I have failed and rebelled against God. One of the things we often forget in a world filled with sorrow, pain, suffering and troubles is that there are times when we bring some of our own pain on ourselves.  There will be times when bad things will happen to us that we have no choice in the matter. Living in a fallen world means that Satan is going to be throwing some stuff our way that we need to be prepared to handle.  But more often than not we are our own worst enemy.

Here are some examples.  If I choose to smoke 2 packs of cigarettes a day, I shouldn’t be surprised if I get lung cancer.  If I decide to eat foods that are bad for my health or never exercise, I shouldn’t be surprised when I get the diseases that come from eating the things that are bad for me.  If I never exercise I shouldn’t be surprised when I become a couch potato. 

God created us in His image.  Our bodies are a temple of the Holy Spirit living in us and how many times do we desecrate that temple.  Why do I expect God to protect me when I don’t take care of the body he gave me for the Holy Spirit to reside in? It’s like knowing you have a leak in your roof but doing nothing about it.  What happens?  Before you know it you have a bucket catching the drip, a stain on your ceiling and mold in the attic.         

When we understand the part our sin plays in our life, the first thing we should want to do is get rid of it.  God can help us get rid of the sin in our life, but we have to want it first.  Sometimes it is easier to lie than tell the truth, other times it is easier to blame someone else for our failures and other times we are stubborn and rebellious and want our way instead of God’s. 

If we understand our sin, remove it from our life and lean on God, the things that Satan throws our way will not surprise us.


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of sin.  I am guilty of rebelling against You over and over again.  I decide I know what is best for me instead of letting You decide. Help me to give up the sin in my life and allow the Holy Spirit to live in me.  When things of this world throw me a curve, I will be able to handle it and lean on You during those times.  Thank you for loving me enough to want me back even when I rebel. Remind me that I am not my own, I am Yours. 

Scripture:   Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment