Friday, February 13, 2015

Treasure In Heaven

The kingdom of heaven is worth infinitely more than the cost of discipleship, and those who know where the treasure lies joyfully abandon everything else to secure it. D.A. Carson

So where is your treasure?  I asked myself this question because too many times I focus on this earthly life.  We lose our God focus when we start worrying about the everyday things of life. 

There is an old folk song from the 60’s that talks about keeping your hand on the plow and in another version it is referred to as keeping your eye on the prize.  Too many times I think we are like the horse with blinders on.  We forget that we are supposed to be storing up treasure in heaven and instead we store it up here.

Hand on the Plow
Hold on, Hold on
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on

Hold on, Hold on
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on

Heard the voice of Jesus say
Come unto me, I am the way.
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on.
When my way gets dark as night,
I know the lord will be my light,
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on.

Hold on, Hold on
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on

You can talk about me much as you please
the more you talk, gonna stay on my knees.
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on.

When I get to heaven, gonna sing and shout
Be nobody there to put me out.
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on.
I know my robe's gonna fit me well,
I tried it on at the gates of Hell.
Keep your hand on the plow, hold on.

One day we have the opportunity to be joint heirs with Jesus Christ.  Will there be treasure for us stored up in heaven when we leave this earth?  If our eye isn’t on the right prize; probably not. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I need to be reminded that the things that happen here are not important.  Please help me to keep my eye on the real prize (heaven).  If I am diligent and trust in You, I will have untold treasure stored in heaven.       

Scripture: The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.


For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. Romans 8:16-19

No comments:

Post a Comment