Wednesday, February 11, 2015

What Do You Sow?

Many, I fear, would like glory, who have no wish for grace. They would want to have the wages, but not the work; the harvest, but not the labor; the reaping, but not the sowing; the reward, but not the battle. But it may not be.  J.C. Ryle

I was driving to work this morning and I saw an eighteen wheeler a mile or so ahead of me on the freeway.  All I could make out was that it had several tall things on the bed and they were wrapped in tarps.  The tarps had filled with air and it reminded me of my grandmother’s hairnet.  When I was little my grandmother would go to the hairdresser to get her hair fixed.  In today’s terminology that would be translated; she would do to a stylist for a haircut.  But back then my grandmother would go to a hairdresser to I guess “dress her hair”. 

Anyway, when I would stay overnight with my grandparents, my grandmother always wore a hair net over her hair to protect her hairdressing from getting mussed.  My grandmother had this elaborate pink hair net that had a pink pompom on the top.  I think the pompom was to kind of dress it up, but it was really quite unusual.  It was stretchy and would fit over her hair and protect it while she slept.  I don’t know about you but when I get up after sleeping on my hair I look like a cross between a woodpecker and a rooster, so I don’t really understand how my grandmother slept on her hair and it didn’t come out looking like mine does.  I’m beginning to think it was a magic hairnet. 

As I got closer to the truck I realized that it had trees on it.  The tops of the trees were covered with tarps to protect them and the tarps had filled with air and were billowing about.  I started thinking about these giant trees and how each one started with a seed.  Someone had to plant a seed for these trees to grow.  

Our Christian life is no different.  God created us to plant seeds.  If I want to grow wheat, I don’t plow the field and then watch to see if something comes up.  If I do that I will probably grow weeds.  I must first go out and plant the seeds to produce the crop.  I think the problem is we don’t understand what Jesus meant in John 12:24 when He said, “unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain.”  In Romans 6:4 it says “Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.”

If we are not planting seeds in others then we are not producing.  What we sow we will reap.  If we don’t sow anything there won’t be a crop.  Jesus Christ died for our sins so that we could live and produce an abundance of saved souls.  Where are you planting seeds?  Are you planting them in your children, your friends or acquaintances?  Every day each of us has the opportunity to plant seeds in other people so that they can have eternal life.  What seeds are you sowing?

   
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, when I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior; I gave up my old life.  I was born into a new life where my time and energy should be spent sowing and reaping an amazing harvest.  Help me to become a better farmer of souls.  
      

Scripture: The Fruitful Grain of Wheat


But Jesus answered them, saying, “The hour has come that the Son of Man should be glorified.  Most assuredly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain. He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. If anyone serves Me, him My Father will honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment