Thursday, June 30, 2016

Riding a Horse

By the all-powerful dispensations of Providence I have been protected beyond all human probability or expectation; for I had four bullets through my coat, and two horses shot under me yet escaped unhurt, although death was leveling my companions on every side of me!  George Washington

I had a dream several nights ago.  I dreamed I rode my horse to work.  The thing is, I don’t even own a horse and haven’t been around a horse in years.  Thanks to my Dad I do know how to ride one and thanks in part to my brother, I know how to fall off one. 

Dreams are weird.  Sometimes when I wake up I can remember a dream as clearly as if I was still in it. Other times, not so much. 

In the Bible, God used some people to interpret dreams.  Remember Joseph.  He was a true dreamer.  God revealed things to him in dreams but most people laughed or scoffed at him because they didn’t believe it was God speaking through him.  His own brothers hated Joseph when he told them his dreams.  Remember the skinny cows and the fat cows. Then there was the one about the baker and the three white baskets on his head with birds eating out of it.  My dreams don’t sound so weird now do they? 

I don’t know how to interpret dreams, but I decided to go back to the Bible and read about horses.  Since my horse was the main character in my dream, why not look up scripture pertaining to horses. 

In Joshua 11:6 the children of Israel were battling against the people of Canaan and God commanded them to hough their enemies horses.  They were to cut the hamstring of their enemies horses and burn their chariots.  This rendered the animal incapable of speed.  In Deuteronomy 17:16 God forbade them to multiply horses. God repeatedly told them He would fight the enemy for them.  God wanted their faith to be in Him and their strength to come from Him alone, not their artillery or transportation. 

So my dream could mean any number of things or absolutely nothing.  The thing is it motivated me to look to the Bible for answers.  God might be speaking to me through my dream and if I don’t compare it to scripture I might miss something God is trying to tell me.  God might be trying to tell me not to depend on my current transportation, or that if I keep thinking about getting a new car he might exchange my current ride for a horse. 

The point I am trying to make is that everything that happens in our life happens for a reason.  It has passed through God’s hands and if we take what happens in our life and search through the Bible we just might find a treasure God intended for us. 
 
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I often dream weird dreams.  Remind me to take the circumstances in my life and search Your Word to find the hidden treasure that you want to reveal to me. Thank You for Your wisdom and truth and for helping me to keep my focus on You.   

Scripture: And the Lord said unto Joshua, Be not afraid because of them: for tomorrow about this time will I deliver them up all slain before Israel: thou shalt hough their horses, and burn their chariots with fire. So Joshua came, and all the people of war with him, against them by the waters of Merom suddenly; and they fell upon them.  And the Lord delivered them into the hand of Israel, who smote them, and chased them unto great Zidon, and unto Misrephothmaim, and unto the valley of Mizpeh eastward; and they smote them, until they left them none remaining.  And Joshua did unto them as the Lord bade him: he houghed their horses, and burnt their chariots with fire.  And Joshua at that time turned back, and took Hazor, and smote the king thereof with the sword: for Hazor beforetime was the head of all those kingdoms.  Joshua 11:6-10


No comments:

Post a Comment