Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Techno Wizard

There's not a single thing on offer in this all-too-temporary world for which you should ever sell your soul.  Alan Keyes

I have a new phone and so does my husband.  We were talking last night and Jerry was telling me about a guy he knows who still has a flip phone.  He decided to buy a SIM card cutter to save money and insert it into his new/used phone. I didn’t even know what a SIM cutter was so I looked it up.  I guess is cuts your SIM card down to size.
     
The phone I recently bought is an iPhone.  You already know how technologically challenged I am.  I was talking to Jerry on my way home from work and I forgot to end the call.  I am driving along and since the phone had been on speaker all of a sudden I hear Jerry say “Hang up your phone”.  I thought I would wreck the car because it sounded like he was inside the car with me.

I went to dinner with my nephews and they had to show me how to set my percentage so I would know how much battery life I had left.  There is also this woman on my phone who tells me where to go.  I didn’t even know she was in there until my nephew showed me how to find her.

One of my nephews told me he is taking a special class this summer related to technology.  He used words I’ve never heard of so I had to ask him to explain it to me.  It has to do with pixels and moving them around and reconfiguring something to restructure the design.  If you really want to feel dumb you should talk to a 16 year old or maybe a 4 year old.  I’ve found they know more about my technology than I do.  

My husband bought a Galaxy so his phone looks like a big screen TV.  Do you remember the cell phones that first came out?  They were the size of your home phone and you had to have a special antennae on your car to use it. 

Technology is taking over the world.  Everywhere you look there are commercials about the latest and greatest technology.  As soon as you walk off the showroom floor with your new phone it is obsolete.  Technology companies have us figured out too.  Instead of making a chip that is compatible with your current phone that you can change every few years for $20, they make technology that doesn’t work with your old one so you have to buy a new one for $499.  The only way to not pay that $499 price tag is to call the company and tell them how long you have been with them.  You have to convince them that you are a good customer and have been for years.  That is how Jerry and I bought our phones for $50.  We did have to spend several hours on the phone with a representative and then get transferred to a manager but in the end we didn’t pay $499 per phone.

I started thinking about how God works in my life.  He doesn’t keep changing the plan.  The same plan that existed hundreds of years ago is still good today.  The billing hasn’t changed and I don’t sign a two year contract. With God I have a lifetime contract and my bill is already paid.  Christ paid my bill on the cross.  

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I sometimes get tired of technology.  Many times it takes me away from spending time with You.  If I forget my phone at home I start to worry and ask myself, “what if something happens to my car?”  If I stop and remember that You are always with me, not having my phone doesn’t matter so much anymore. 
                   

Scripture: The Lord your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” Zephaniah 3:17


Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”  John 8:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment