Tuesday, June 7, 2016

What Is Your Worth?

If Christ thought the soul was worth the shedding of His blood, well may we think it worth spending our sweat.  Thomas Watson

In this day and age there is great energy spent on trying to prove our worth to other people.  There are millions spent each year on advertisements telling us that we are not good enough.  I stopped and asked myself what is “good enough”. 

If I look at it from the world’s perspective I am a dismal failure in the worth department. I will never measure up to what the world expects me to be.  I will never be thin enough, pretty enough or have enough.  It is like chasing the wind or holding water in the palm of your hand.  If we understand that in this world we will never measure up to the expectations of the world, we have won part of the battle. 

It’s really ironic.  If I will never measure up to what the world expects of me why do I chase after things of the world.  If we look at it from a God perspective it is easier to understand.  If I know that Christ came to earth for me in my worthlessness to save me from utter destruction, then I must understand that I was not worth dying for, but Christ did the very thing I was not worthy of. 

Why? Because of love.  A love that surpasses our understanding.  Why is it that we can’t understand God’s love for us?  When I thought about this it made me think of times in my life where people have said things that broke me.  I thought of the long ago boss who told me I would never amount to anything.  Those are harsh words to a young college kid.  Some have even had their parents tell them they will never amount to anything.  Your perspective of your worth is shaken when you get a world view of your worth.  Why is it easier to accept an acquaintance’s or family member’s views of our worth than it is God’s?  I think it is because we don’t spend enough time reading those passages in the Bible that tell us how God views our worth.  I think it is also because we don's spend enough time with the One who values us the most.

If we understand that a Man who was God died a horrible death because of His love for us so that we would know how valuable we are, then we have seen a picture of our great worth to God.  What more do we need? 


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, thank you for loving me enough to show me that even if the world doesn’t know my worth, You do.  You would not have sent Your Son to die on the cross for my sins if I wasn’t worth something to You.  There is no greater love than Yours.  

Scripture:  Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him up for us all, how shall He not with Him also freely give us all things? Romans 8:30-32

And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus.  This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.  However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life. 1 Timothy 1:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment