Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Driving

Many Christians dread the thought of leaving this world. Why? Because so many have stored up their treasures on earth, not in heaven. Each day brings us closer to death. If your treasures are on earth; that means each day brings you closer to losing your treasures.  Randy Alcorn

I was watching the news this morning and a man in New Zealand is 105 years old.  That in itself is an amazing accomplishment but the really interesting thing is he just renewed his driver’s license.  He said the first car he ever drove didn’t have a steering wheel but a stick and he received his driver’s license in 1925. They said he had only had one minor accident and no traffic tickets in the 92 years he has been driving. I thought this was an amazing feat until they showed him driving.  There were nothing but cows and open fields where he lived.  He could run off the road and get back on and no one would be the wiser. 

I was driving to work and I noticed a car in the right lane that wasn’t going the speed limit.  When I pulled alongside the car it was a gentleman that looked to be about 95 and he wasn’t going the speed limit.  He was white knuckling the steering wheel and he was about 20mph under the speed limit and he was on a major freeway.  I started praying for him immediately. 

When I think about the number of elderly individuals on the highway it sometimes scares me.  I can remember when my grandmother got pulled over by a policeman.  Well, I can’t say pulled over because she ran a stop sign but she wouldn’t stop.  I am not sure if she ever looked in the rearview mirror to see the flashing lights or if she just wouldn’t stop until she got home.  The policeman had to follow her to her house to get her to stop. I admit there are some young drivers that are just as bad, what with texting and talking on the phone while driving.  
   
When God created Adam and Eve there was no vehicle to drive them around the Garden of Eden. Can you imagine having nothing to do but walk around and tend the plants and animals in the Garden and spend time with God?  Then Adam and Eve listened to a snake and here we are. We are born new only to later grow old and forget which pedal is the brake or accelerator. I am so looking forward to heaven.  I read that there will be streets of gold and continuous light but I didn’t see a car dealership in the scenario so I don’t think we will need one. 
        
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I know that I am heading toward old age. I pray that when the time comes for me to quit driving that you will give me the courage to stop when it is time.  We are so dependent on vehicles to get us everywhere. I long for heaven where I won’t need to be rushing to the next appointment or meeting and where I will have all the time in the world to sit and talk to You. 

Scripture: “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only. But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left. Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming. But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.  Matthew 24:36-44


But I saw no temple in it, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. The city had no need of the sun or of the moon to shine in it, for the glory of God illuminated it. The Lamb is its light. And the nations of those who are saved shall walk in its light, and the kings of the earth bring their glory and honor into it.  Its gates shall not be shut at all by day (there shall be no night there). And they shall bring the glory and the honor of the nations into it.  But there shall by no means enter it anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life. Revelation 21:22-27

No comments:

Post a Comment