Monday, October 10, 2016

Faith In the Right One

Our vision is so limited we can hardly imagine a love that does not show itself in protection from suffering.... The love of God did not protect His own Son.... He will not necessarily protect us - not from anything it takes to make us like His Son. A lot of hammering and chiseling and purifying by fire will have to go into the process.  Elisabeth Elliot

In many of my devotionals I will use quotes by Watchman Nee.  I think what I find so interesting about him was the suffering he endured because of his faith.  He studied the Bible and other writings by Christian authors.  He had no formal theological training during his ministry. During his lifetime of ministry in mainland China, he suffered from illness including a stomach disorder, tuberculosis and a heart condition.  In 1952 he was imprisoned at a labor farm for 20 years until his death in 1972.  When he wrote letters in prison he was not allowed to mention the Lord’s name as all of his writings were censored.  In his final letter on the day of his death he wrote the following words: “In my sickness, I still remain joyful at heart.”  Can you imagine making that statement in the midst of illness or imprisonment?

As I read this statement it brought to mind the apostle Paul.  He suffered, was imprisoned, beaten and some of his best writings in the Bible came out of great suffering.  One of my favorite verses comes from Paul’s writings. 

Philippians 4:11-13 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

I often think one of my biggest weaknesses is not being content with whatever state I am in.  Sometimes I am not content when God provides abundant blessings in my life. The problem is I often overlook the simplest of blessings.  The number one blessing being that I am still breathing and was able to get up this morning. My faith in our Heavenly Father will make the difference in an abundant life through any and all circumstances.  If I am worried about the outcome or what will happen to me next, my faith is not in the Right One.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I praise You for Your Son Jesus, who suffered and died for a poor sinner like me.  Help me to keep my focus on You so that I can rejoice in any circumstance.  Help me to remember that when my faith is on the Right One, that faith will sustain me through any suffering.
   

Scripture: Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!

Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.


Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:4-9

No comments:

Post a Comment