Thursday, October 25, 2012

Fear and Imagination


There is much in the world to make us afraid. There is much more in our faith to make us unafraid. ~Frederick W. Cropp


Fear can be debilitating and the thing is we make it worse by using our imagination. 

When we were kids we had twenty acres behind our house where we roamed and played and rode horses.  We spent years there just being kids.  We leased the property from someone, I don’t recall who.  On one section of the property the owner left old cars.  The cars were rusted shells with missing pieces and parts.  There was a trail that wound through the cars so if you went to the back of the property you had to cross where the cars were.

As kids we would ride our horses or walk by these old cars and I would often think about why they were there or who drove them and when my imagination was really on a roll I would think about people being in them. Creeeepy!!!

My dad told me a story that I will share with you.  He said one night he and my brother, who was probably six or seven, were walking in the woods to the back of the property looking for one of our cows.  They came to the part of the trail where the old cars were and my brother eased over close to my dad and slipped his hand in my dad’s hand. As my dad told the story I could picture myself doing that and how comforting it would be to be walking with God our Heavenly Father and to be able to slip my hand in His and the peace that would bring to my soul.

Some of you may not have memories like I do of a strong, caring father who was there for you when you were scared or afraid.  I was blessed to have a dad who loved us unconditionally and spent so much time with us showing us how to live.   I have a living example to refer to when I need to see what our Heavenly Father is like even though I can’t see Him physically.

The beautiful thing is our Heavenly Father is there all the time.  He never leaves us even when He seems to be silent.  I talk to my Heavenly Father every day. If you didn’t grow up with a dad who gave you a great example of what our Heavenly Father is like then I will share mine with you.  Your Heavenly Father is like my dad who walks with you through the scary parts of life and loves you unconditionally.  Turn to Him when you are afraid and He will be there for you in your time of need.

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am often guilty of fear.  I forget that I need to trust in You and then what do I have to fear.  Help me to lean on You and realize I have nothing to fear when You are in my life.  
  
Scripture:   The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.  He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.  You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.  Psalm 23:1-6

No comments:

Post a Comment