Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Goody Two Shoes


Whom have I in heaven but You? And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.  My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.  Psalm 73:25-27


There are those of us who like to take the bumpy road.  I am one who enjoys a smooth surface.  This applies to our everyday life.  When I was young I was an observer.  I was a people watcher.  I watched what others did and if it didn’t turn out so good for them, then I didn’t do what they did.  I was also a quick learner when it came to other people’s mistakes. 

There were times in my life when I was young that people would call me “Miss Goody Two Shoes.”  I haven’t thought of that in years so I decided to search for wisdom and look it up.  I had no idea what it meant until now or that there was a book about it published in the 1800’s.

Goody Two Shoes is a variation on the Cinderella story. The fable tells of Goody Two-Shoes, the nickname of a poor orphan girl named Margery Meanwell, who goes through life with only one shoe. When she is given a complete pair by a rich gentleman, she is so happy that she tells everyone that she has "two shoes". Later, Margery becomes a teacher and marries a rich widower. This earning of wealth serves as proof that her virtuousness has been rewarded.   

The following are descriptions of what it means to be a Goody Two Shoes.

A person who always does the "right thing", never does anything that they're "not supposed to do" and acts "perfect" in every single way possible.

An expression saying that someone is always on the side that is "good" and never taking a chance of being "bad”.

Belittling and insulting term for a person who won't do anything that can be regarded as "wrong" or "immoral".

When I think of my childhood sometimes I cringe because I was the skinny kid in school.  I was also always the last one picked for any game on the playground.  That meant that when it came time to play kickball I was the last one chosen.  If we played Red Rover I was chosen last because I had skinny arms and everyone always ran toward me first because I was the weak link.  I always hated that game.

When I was in the 4th grade the teacher had a contest to see who could do the most sit ups.  Well I took that challenge.  I did 100 sit ups.  I hurt for days after that but what an accomplishment for a little skinny girl who was always picked last. 

Well the skinny girl grew up and became a woman.  These little pieces of my life that I share with you are what made me into the woman I am today.  I am not perfect and will never be, but I will take the “Goody Two Shoes” name and also being picked last because you know what, I seem to remember several verses in Isaiah that say

Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, The Creator of the ends of the earth, neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall, but those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:28-31

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I was so weak for such a long time but now I feel Your strength in me.  You are the everlasting God and if it means that I must be weak to be strong, then I will gladly accept that because through You I can to all things because You give me strength and that is all I will ever need.    


Scripture:  Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.  And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake.  For when I am weak then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment