Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Listen & Ask Questions

The next time you find yourself alone in a dark alley facing the undeniables of life, don't cover them with a blanket, or ignore them with a nervous grin. Don't turn up the TV and pretend they aren't there. Instead, stand still, whisper his name, and listen. He is nearer than you think. Max Lucado
I received a call from one of the cable/dish providers.  This is the same one that I disputed with over an additional installation fee when we already had multiple accounts with them. 

I admit I should have listened and asked questions first, but I still had that memory of my previous week long conversations with them, so I still had a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak, about this company. 
So this guy calls and tells me that he is an Account Manager with them and that my account was added to a “list” and directed to him.  So I immediately assume that he is calling to try to soothe my ruffled feathers.  That was my first mistake; assuming anything.  So he tells me he understands I had some issues 3 months ago related to my service.

This is where the listen and ask questions should come in, but I didn’t do that.  I immediately started telling him of all the issues I had trying to get new service with them and how they charged me $200 to set up new service when we already had multiple accounts with them, and how they wouldn’t waive the fee and told me I could file a complaint but that it would take approximately 2 months for the review of my complaint and in the meantime I wouldn’t have service so I caved and paid the fee because what other choice did I have, since they didn’t give me one (a choice that is).  I know this is a run-on sentence but this is sort of how it went. 
The guy then apologizes for the actions of the person I spoke with previously and tells me that he has the authority to give me an extreme discount that the other person wasn’t authorized to provide. 

So I ask him what kind of deal.  He tells me he can give me a rate of $39.99.  I respond by telling him that I understand how that kind of deal works.  They will give me that rate for 3 to 6 months and then jack the price up. He proceeds to tell me that in this case the fee would remain the same. 
So I tell him ok.  Here is where it really gets interesting.  He tells me the address that he is calling about is in Ruston, Louisiana.  So a light goes off in my head and a shocked look crosses my face, BECAUSE WE DON’T HAVE AN ACCOUNT IN LOUISIANA all of our accounts are in West Texas.  This train is derailing with no stopping in sight.  I tell him, “We don’t have an account in Louisiana”.  He starts stammering and tells me to hold.  Then he says, “I’m calling about the service you cancelled”.  I reply, “What service?  We didn’t cancel any service.”  So he gives me the correct address.  The service he is talking about is the one we turned off because we sold the property. I felt like I was in the skit “Who’s on First” with Abbott and Costello.

I think too many times we jump to conclusions before we even know the question.  If I had listened I would have heard his first statement that he was calling about an account we had cancelled.  That would have told me what I needed to know and I could have averted this train wreck.
Too many times we treat the Bible the same way.  We open it and start reading and instead of listening for God’s voice and asking questions, we think we know what it means and we run with it.  The problem is God’s Word is not always easy to understand.  If we are in too much of a hurry to meditate on His Word and ask questions we may miss the very thing God is trying to teach us.    

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am often too quick to jump to conclusions before I really understand what You are trying to teach me.  If I am moving too fast to meditate on Your Word I could miss the very thing you most want me to hear.  Help me to slow down and listen.  Understanding Your Word is the beginning of wisdom, and You have all the answers if we will turn to You.  
Scripture:  So none of the accursed things shall remain in your hand, that the Lord may turn from the fierceness of His anger and show you mercy, have compassion on you and multiply you, just as He swore to your fathers, because you have listened to the voice of the Lord your God, to keep all His commandments which I command you today, to do what is right in the eyes of the Lord your God. Deuteronomy 13:17-18

Hear instruction and be wise, and do not disdain it.  Blessed is the man who listens to me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors. For whoever finds me finds life, and obtains favor from the Lord; Proverbs 8:33-35

No comments:

Post a Comment