Monday, October 14, 2013

Loss of Innocence

Within each of us exists the image of God, however disfigured and corrupted by sin it may presently be. God is able to recover this image through grace as we are conformed to Christ.  Alister McGrath
Perhaps the most wonderful thing of all is this: God lifts us not only from what we are by nature to what Adam was in the Garden of Eden, but to what Adam was to become in the presence of God, and would have been had he persevered in obedience. The gospel does not make us like Adam in his innocence - it makes us like Christ, in all the perfection of His reflection of God.  Sinclair B. Ferguson

Have you ever looked back over your life and thought about the first time you realized that life was not going to be easy and what you thought life was supposed to be wasn’t turning out like you expected it would? 
Last night I was working at my computer and I was looking for a document.  As will happen, I had several CD’s with files that I was searching through and I ran across some photos that I hadn’t seen in years.

My nephews are now teenagers and both are over 6ft tall.  Some of the photos were of them when they were around 3 or 4 years old.  There was one where they were sitting next to each other with their arms around each other and they were laughing.  I also ran across another photo of the two of them at our wedding.  They were in miniature black tuxedos and they were hugging each other and the youngest was holding a toy car.  Our photographer had shot the photo where you could just see the backs of their heads with the two of them hugging each other tightly. 
I then ran across a photo of the oldest one several years later where he was holding his baseball trophy over his head.  He had the biggest saddest eyes I have ever seen.  It reminded me of how we are born innocent and then life happens. 

Our loss of innocence can happen when we are three and it can happen when we are forty or fifty or at any age in between and no one is exempt.  Because we live in a fallen world, innocence is lost every day.
When Jesus talked about how we must become like little children, He certainly understood what the loss of innocence can mean.  He understood how vulnerable children are and that this innocence can so easily be taken away.  Every person loses their innocence eventually.  It can be caused by bosses, parents, friends and even other children. Our loss of innocence can lead us down a road to the comfort of the cross or to more brokenness.  Becoming like little children brings us back to God’s presence.     

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, as I looked at those long ago photos, it reminded me of my own innocence and how the world around us can be a cruel place.  The only perfect place is found in your presence.  My innocence is long gone but I am so thankful that you gave me Jesus to show me what love really is and that even the loss of innocence can be redeemed.  
Scripture:  Jesus Blesses Little Children

Then they also brought infants to Him that He might touch them; but when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them.  But Jesus called them to Him and said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God.  Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.”  Luke 18:15-17
Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.  Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.  Matthew 18:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment