Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Showing Joy In the Lord

When the heart is full of joy, it always allows its joy to escape. It is like the fountain in the marketplace; whenever it is full it runs away in streams, and as soon as it ceases to overflow, you may be quite sure that it has ceased to be full. The only full heart is the overflowing heart.  Charles Spurgeon
One of my favorite stories in the Bible is about David.  David had been made King and he was bringing the Ark of the Lord home.  David was so joyful that he danced in the streets. 

One of my great joys is dancing.  My husband and I love to dance.  When we dance it is like we glide.  We are so in tune with each other that we understand what step the other is going to take before we even take it.  One of the things we have in common is the same taste in music.  Throughout our marriage we have often been talking about music and one of us will turn to the other and say did you hear that song on the radio.  The other will say, yes I love that song.  It isn’t always the words that touch us; it is often the music behind the words.  When you have danced as long as my husband and I have, there is a certain beat to a song that is conducive to shuffling which is the type of couple dancing that we enjoy. 
When my husband and I got married we played a song that we danced our first dance to called “Oh What a Thrill”.  Through all the times we have shared there is still that thrill that I get when we are dancing.  It is a joy inside that just makes me smile because I don’t even have to think when I am dancing with him.  It is just instinct that we move together. 

This morning I was listening to the radio and the first song that came on is one of those songs that just make me want to jump out of my car and start dancing and singing at the top of my lungs.  The song is called “Beautiful Day” by Jamie Grace.  One of my favorite verses in the song says,  
“And ooh there's something 'bout the way Your sun shines on my face
It's a love so true, I could never get enough of You
This feeling can't be wrong, I'm about to get my worship on
Take me away, It's a beautiful day” 


I love those words “I’m about to get my worship on”.  It makes me think of David and how joyfully he danced for the Lord worshipping his Creator.  I want to wake up every day with that kind of joy in my heart.  So for now I am going to “go get my worship on”.
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, there is a place in my soul where music resides.  I often feel closest to You when I am singing or dancing.  When there is joy like that in my heart it just flows out of me.  It can’t be contained.  Thank You for giving me the blessing of music so that I can express my love for You through it.  I praise Your Holy Name.          

Scripture:  Now it was told King David, saying, “The Lord has blessed the house of Obed-Edom and all that belongs to him, because of the ark of God.” So David went and brought up the ark of God from the house of Obed-Edom to the City of David with gladness. And so it was, when those bearing the ark of the Lord had gone six paces, that he sacrificed oxen and fatted sheep. Then David danced before the Lord with all his might; and David was wearing a linen ephod.  So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouting and with the sound of the trumpet.  2 Samuel 6:12-15
Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, “How glorious was the king of Israel today, uncovering himself today in the eyes of the maids of his servants, as one of the base fellows shamelessly uncovers himself!”

So David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me instead of your father and all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the Lord, over Israel. Therefore I will play music before the Lord.  And I will be even more undignified than this, and will be humble in my own sight.  But as for the maidservants of whom you have spoken, by them I will be held in honor." 
Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no children to the day of her death.  2 Samuel 6:20-23

No comments:

Post a Comment