Thursday, April 30, 2015

The Back Seat

Perfect love will never want the preeminence in everything, it will never want to take the place of another, it will always be willing to take the back seat.  Smith Wigglesworth

In a few weeks I will be taking a trip to Louisiana with my sisters, cousin, aunt and Mom.  We did this trip last year taking my Mom back to see the places where she grew up.  I am driving my vehicle and it has seven seats.  There are two seats in the very back that fold down flat and then there is a bench seat in the middle.  I was talking to my sister and she said I should try out the back seats to see how they worked.  We were discussing that when we get to Louisiana if we were going short distances I could fit everyone in my car.  She also said I should take my cell phone with me in case I got stuck back there so I could call my husband to rescue me. 

Have you ever bought a car and driven it for a while and then found something out about it that you never knew.  That was yesterday for me.  Since I don’t often sit in the back or rear seats, (good thing, because I am usually driving it). Before you ask, no I didn’t take it on the road driving from the rear seat.  I did however, open the hatch and raise the two rear seats.  There are several levers and cords to pull to make this happen.

Then I moved to the two second row seats.  I saw a cord so I pulled it.  Nothing happened. I looked at the pictures and followed the steps. Nothing happened. I looked at the pictures again and saw that number three wasn’t happening so I went through the steps again.  Nothing happened.  I finally pulled out the manual and started reading.  This was where my husband found me when he walked out of our back yard.  I had the hatch open, three doors open and was sitting in the front seat reading. 

As you can guess he got a puzzled look on his face and then walked up to the car and asked me what I was doing.  I proceeded to explain to him that I was trying to figure out how to get into the back seats of the car without having to crawl in from the back hatch.  I got out and showed him the pictures on the side of the seat.  You are going to love this part.  He reaches up and says, “What is this for” and proceeded to pull a strap sticking out of the side of the seat.  The seat promptly popped forward and upside down so you could easily step inside.

I told him, "Is that cool or what?"  I hopped in and sat in one of the rear seats.  As I was sitting there it crossed my mind that the rear seat is where we all are in life.  We may think we are in control of everything, but that isn’t the case.  God is in the front and driver’s seat all the time.  When we think we are in control of our lives, give it a few days, months or years.  Something will happen eventually to remind us of where our seat is on the bus of life.  I am glad I’m in the rear seat because He already knows what is going to happen in my life and I don’t.  Wouldn’t you rather have someone in the driver’s seat who knows where you’re going?  
 
   
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I want you in the driver’s seat in my life.  I often make a mess of things when I try to struggle control away from You.  Remind me that You are there to guide and direct me.  You know what is best for me.  Help me to relinquish the control I think I have to You.  You will get me where I need to go.        
      

Scripture: In You, O Lord, I put my trust; let me never be ashamed; deliver me in Your righteousness. Bow down Your ear to me, deliver me speedily; be my rock of refuge, a fortress of defense to save me.


For You are my rock and my fortress; therefore, for Your name’s sake, lead me and guide me.  Pull me out of the net which they have secretly laid for me, for You are my strength.   Into Your hand I commit my spirit; You have redeemed me, O Lord God of truth.  Psalm 31:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment