Thursday, April 2, 2015

Work Like You are Working for the Lord

If you're running a 26-mile marathon, remember that every mile is run one step at a time. If you are writing a book, do it one page at a time. If you're trying to master a new language, try it one word at a time. There are 365 days in the average year. Divide any project by 365 and you'll find that no job is all that intimidating.  Chuck Swindoll

This job has been given to me to do. Therefore, it is a gift. Therefore, it is a privilege. Therefore, it is an offering I may make to God. Therefore, it is to be done gladly, if it is done for Him. Here, not somewhere else, I may learn God's way. In this job, not in some other, God looks for faithfulness.  Elisabeth Elliot

Do you ever think about your work and how you do it?  I had a conversation with one of my sister’s and we were talking about jobs and some of the jobs we have had over the years.  I was telling her about my first job in college.  I worked for our local Credit Union part-time while going to school.

If you want a humbling experience all you have to do is think back to one of your first jobs and that will do it for most of us.  My job at the Credit Union was to shred documents and stuff statements in envelopes. 

So here is a picture of how my day went when I worked at the Credit Union.  I would arrive around noon after my classes were over and I would go to the break room at the back of the building.  There was a big industrial size shredder and stacked next to it was a 5 foot tall stack of greenbar reports.  For those of you who aren’t as old as dirt like me, a greenbar report is one long report printed on one long continuous piece of perforated paper. 

I would stand at the shredder and feed these greenbar reports into the shredder.  A trash bag was underneath to catch the shredded paper.  I would fill bags, tie them off with a bread tie and toss them out the back door.  So imagine doing this every day after school for 5 hours.  It can be tedious and boring. 

So I decided to challenge myself.  My challenge was to see how many more bags I could shred than the day before.  When I first started shredding I started out only feeding one report into the shredder at a time.  Well once I issued my challenge to myself to beat the count from the day before, I had to become innovative.  So I would line up 3 reports on the floor and feed the end sheets into the shredder and then I could sit back and watch it run since the reports were all connected together.  One day I got a little over-ambitious and fed too many into the shredder at once.  It jammed.  That was the day I learned how to repair a shredder. 

So every day I would do a few more bags than the previous day.  It became the highlight of my day to look out the back door and see the stack of bags filled with shredded documents. 
   
Do you know what this job taught me?  It taught me to do the best job I can at whatever work I do.  It doesn’t matter what the job is, it is the attitude that I use when I am doing it.  This job taught me perseverance, integrity, trustworthiness and how not to be bored out of my mind shredding documents. It taught me about work ethic and giving 100% to the person who pays you to do the job.  It taught me patience and humility.  Have you realized that when you first start your career whatever it may be; you will always start at the bottom.  You don’t go immediately to CEO if you work for someone else. 

Your job is your training ground for God’s service.  Everything we do in this life is for God’s service not ours.  Too many times we forget that we are working for the Lord in every aspect of our life.  He is our ultimate employer and part of the reward for doing your job well is “you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.”   
   
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I want to serve You to the best of my ability.  Thank you for those long ago jobs that taught me integrity, perseverance, ethics, honesty and the value of hard work.  Remind me that the job I hold today is working for You in whatever capacity You see fit.  Help me to reflect Jesus Christ to others by the way I do my job today.       

Scripture: Bondservants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh, not with eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but in sincerity of heart, fearing God. And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.  But he who does wrong will be repaid for what he has done, and there is no partiality.  Colossians 3:22-25

No comments:

Post a Comment