Thursday, May 28, 2015

Faith Overcomes Fear

Fear is a self-imposed prison that will keep you from becoming what God intends for you to be.  You must move against it with the weapons of faith and love.  Rick Warren

What do you fear?  Is there something in your life that you fear?  I think we all have fear at one time or another in our life.  In 1 John 4:18 it says, “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.” 

I was reading about Elisabeth Elliot.  She is a Christian author and speaker whose first husband, Jim Elliot, was killed in 1956.  He was a missionary who wanted to tell the Aucas tribe about Jesus.  This tribe was known for killing outsiders in their area.  They started by flying over the area and dropping food down to the tribe.  They eventually landed a small plane on the beach near where the tribe lived.  They had gradually been communicating with the tribe and meeting with them.

One day they saw two women come out of the jungle.  As they approached, a group of tribal warriors attacked and killed the missionaries.  He was 29 years old.  That is what I call overcoming fear.  He wanted to reach this little known tribe and tell them about Jesus.  Although he had a gun and could have killed the members of the tribe, he didn’t.  Each of the missionaries had promised they would not kill an Auca who did not know Jesus to save himself from being killed.  That is what I call having faith and love that overcomes fear.

Two years later Elisabeth Elliot, her daughter and the sister of one of the other missionaries who was killed returned and moved to the Auca village.  Many of the Aucas became Christians.  If anyone had a reason to fear it was Elisabeth Elliot.  She knew what the tribe was capable of but the mission was more important than her fear of what could happen.

I think my problem is often that I fear too much and don’t love enough.  This kind of love takes everything you have in you.  We will know when we have the right kind of faith when we are willing to get past our fear and love someone else that we don’t know enough to care about saving them for eternity.  That is when we will step out in faith instead of retreating in fear.  I think Psalm 23:4 says it best.  “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou are with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.”

God didn’t promise He would protect us from harm.  If the Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?  If the Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?  Psalm 34:4 it says, “I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.”   God loves you and me just as much.  He won’t take away the fearful things of this world, but he will deliver and comfort you if you seek Him. 


Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, there are so many times in my life when I allow fear to overtake me.  You promise to comfort me when I am fearful and to give me strength to overcome my fears.  The problem is sometimes my faith is not strong enough to push aside the fear.  I want to depend on You alone for comfort and strength when I become fearful.  Thank you for giving me verses that show me what perfect love is and how to practice faith.  When I read about the fears of others who have faced life and death situations because of their faith; my fears seem small.  Thank you for giving me great examples to follow.      
      

Scripture: God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear, even though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; though its waters roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with its swelling. There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacle of the Most High.  God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God shall help her, just at the break of dawn. The nations raged, the kingdoms were moved; He uttered His voice, the earth melted. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Come, behold the works of the Lord, Who has made desolations in the earth.  He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; He breaks the bow and cuts the spear in two; He burns the chariot in the fire. Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.  Psalms 46:1-11

No comments:

Post a Comment