Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Bullying  

All violence is the result of people tricking themselves into believing that their pain derives from other people and that consequently those people deserve to be punished. ~Marshall Rosenberge

This morning on the news there was a story about a young boy who was a victim of bullying.  As I watched this news story my heart broke for him.  This boy was so traumatized by bullying at school that he pulled his braces off with pliers because of the ridicule he received from his classmates about his braces.  He also went into the cafeteria of the school and took nine hydrocodone pills.  He left a note that said he wanted those who were bullying him to understand how hurt he was by them.  They made fun of him because he was skinny and made fun of his clothes and shoes because they were not the up to date brands. 

When I was in the 4th or 5th grade I was extremely shy.  I found it hard to make friends due to my shyness so I was what you would call a loner or to be more exact I was lonely.  In one of my classes the teacher would have us play this game where one student could go up to the front of the class and basically play the teacher while the teacher left the room.  All of the students had to be silent and the student at the front of the class was to select the student who was the quietest one and then that student got to go to the front of the class to play teacher.

What would happen was that if the teacher selected a female student then the girl would always select another girl.  If the teacher happened to choose a male student at the beginning of the game then most of the time a male student was chosen.  Well I guess I didn’t realize the silent rules of the game.  One day someone chose me as the quietest student.  When I got up to the front of the room I was so excited because someone had chosen me.  Well I forgot the unspoken rule that a girl always picked another girl so instead of selecting a girl I chose a male student. You see where this is going don’t you. 

The girls ostracized me from their activities.  They couldn’t believe I broke the chain of girls at the front of the room and chose a boy so they didn’t have anything to do with me after that.  I can remember how painful it was to go out on the playground and none of the girls would speak to me.  I was devastated. 

There was one other thing that I remember from that day.  I remember the boy I chose to take my place at the front of the room.  He was the only one who would speak to me after that incident.  I will be forever grateful to him.  We both grew up and went to high school together and because our last names began with the same letters, we sat next to each other throughout our remaining years in school. In my eyes he became a great man because of the kindness he showed a lonely little girl. He is now the principal of the high school where I graduated. 

I just love the Beatitudes because of the wealth of wisdom they contain.  That little girl that so long ago felt the grief of loneliness is no longer lonely.  My God saves and He loves me unconditionally and when I fall he lifts me up, when I sin he guides me back to the paths of righteousness.  I will never be lonely again.  
     
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, You created each of us in your likeness.  I often don’t understand how children learn to be hurtful and mean to others.  Please forgive me when I treated others without mercy or grace.  You teach me to love others but I don’t always do what I know is right.  Guide me through this life with a love for others like the love You show me.           

Scripture: The Beatitudes- Jesus said: Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.  Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.  Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.  Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.  Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.  Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.  Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.  Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.  Matthew 5:3-12

No comments:

Post a Comment