Thursday, March 23, 2017

Everything We Have

God owns all; He owns me; He owns my home; He owns my children; He owns my property. The Christian idea is this: that God is the absolute owner of all things.  Clovis G. Chappell

To the Lord your God belong the heavens, even the highest heavens, the earth and everything in it.  Deuteronomy 10:14

For more years than I care to count I considered everything that I bought mine.  I thought that since I paid for it with money I earned by working, I could do with it as I pleased.  This is one of the most difficult things for me to understand and grasp.  It is so easy to start looking at things with ownership in mind. 

We live in a society that takes pride in ownership.  We are proud of the things we acquire with our hard earned money.   The problem is none of it is ours in the first place.  God owns it all.  He created everything.  There is nothing on earth that He doesn’t own. 

I was blessed growing up in that I was able to spend many years with my grandparents on both sides of my family.  I was able to see two very different perspectives.  My grandparents on my Dad’s side of the family didn’t really own a lot of things.  They worked until they were in their late 70’s or 80’s (I don’t remember which), but they were always generous with what they had in life.  Looking back now, I can see that they taught me the blessing of giving to others and sometimes what they gave was themselves, especially my grandmother.
 
My grandparents on my Mom’s side of the family lived a different lifestyle.  They were not rich by the world’s standards but they lived comfortably in their later years.  One of the things I can remember my Mom telling me about my grandfather was when he was younger there would be individuals who needed jobs or money and he would find work for them.  I can remember sitting with my Mom and looking through old documents where my grandfather didn’t have much but he would go around the neighborhood raising money for someone in need. He made a list of who gave and how much.  As I read through the list there would be $1, $5 and $10 donations all to help someone else in need. 

My grandparents weren’t perfect by any means but these were golden nuggets of wisdom that were passed down to me.

If you read about Jesus’ life he didn’t have much.  Sometimes he didn’t even have a mode of transportation except his own two feet.  Even as a young man he understood that he was here for one purpose.  He was here to go about His Father’s business.  If we ever can wrap our arms around that and aim our life in that direction there are untold riches waiting.  Those riches won’t be temporary like those we see today. 

When I think of the rich man who asked Jesus what he could do to have eternal life.   Jesus replied “sell everything you own and follow Me.”  Will I go away sorrowful as the rich man did because I think I have many riches here on earth. 

Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I am guilty of storing up treasure here on earth.  You tell me that the riches I have here will soon decay.  Help me to remember that the greatest treasure is following You above everything else.  When I have the right perspective about the things I have on earth the rest of my life will fall into place.  Thank you for helping me to see where my real treasure lies.  It is not here in this temporary life.


Scripture: Now behold, one came and said to Him,“Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?” So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God.  But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” He said to Him, “Which ones?” Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’” The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth.  What do I still lack?” Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.  Matthew 19:16-22

No comments:

Post a Comment