Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Living for Today

There is no more blessed way of living, than the life of faith based upon a covenant-keeping God - to know that we have no care, for He cares for us; that we need have no fear, except to fear Him; that we need have no troubles, because we have cast our burdens upon the Lord, and are conscience that He will sustain us.  Charles Spurgeon

I have a cancer check-up every year with my oncologist.  When I go into the office there is always a long line of people waiting to be checked in.  It never fails to humble me as I walk through those doors.  The waiting area is large and is always full. 
  
As I sit waiting I will always see someone that reminds me of myself. When I look at all of the cancer survivors sitting in that room I catch glimpses of me 12 years ago.  You know how your mind can be like a movie reel running through scenes.  I remember when I went back to work how my clothes didn’t fit.  The next scene was at my grandmother’s funeral carrying her casket and how I was so thankful when it was over so I could take off my fake hair.

As the reels ran through my mind I remember the support group meetings that I attended and the many women I met and those who later died from this disease.  As I thought back about that time in my life it struck me that during that time I was living in the moment, on that day each and every day.  I was not looking ahead or looking behind.  My sole focus was on putting one step in front of another and just making it to the end of the day still living.  

I then asked myself this question.  Why don’t I do that every day?  Why do I constantly look behind me at the mistakes I have made in my life, or continuously look ahead to what I think I may or may not accomplish tomorrow, next week or even next year?  If I focus on today, tomorrow will take care of itself if it ever comes at all.  
 
I love the words Paul wrote in Philippians 3:20-21.  “For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.  If I give myself up to God, I will no longer be worried about the broken body I live in today. 

Prayer for the Day: Father my citizenship is in heaven with You.  Living for today means my focus is on You, not on what will happen tomorrow.  If I place my trust in You and give my life over to You my goal is always in sight.  When I stop worrying about yesterday and live for today I will eagerly await our Lord Jesus Christ’s return.    

Scripture: Pressing Toward the Goal


Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.



Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you. Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us be of the same mind. Philippians 3:12-16

No comments:

Post a Comment