Thursday, March 9, 2017

If We Were All Blind

Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me. Then I shall be blameless, and I shall be innocent of great transgression. Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my Strength and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:13-14

Have you noticed that God has a way of getting our attention when we are at our worst?  I am ashamed to admit this, but this reached out and got my attention so I thought I would share it with you. 

I read a lot of random things so if something crosses my desk like magazines or flyers I will often stop and read them because I have something inside me that thirsts for knowledge.  I was at work on Friday and an electrical co-op magazine was in my mail.  I will normally read through them because they will often have articles about local people or recipes sent in by customers. 

So I open this magazine and there is a picture of a gentleman at the top of this article. I looked at the picture of this gentleman and immediately made an assumption.  This man wasn’t handsome by the world’s standards and they showed a photo of him standing by his truck with the article printed below.  The photo didn’t show disfiguring scars. The title of the article was “Never Let a Good SCAR Go to Waste”. 

Before I read the article I had a totally unloving thought so here is my ashamed part.  When I first looked at the photo, the shallow thought ran through my head about how this photo was not the typical picture they normally put in articles.  Then I read the title and I was drawn into the story.

This gentleman is a Vietnam vet who was injured and burned when a smoke grenade went off near his head.  He yearned to be a minister but instead enlisted in the Navy.  He had an aptitude for weapons and became a Brown Water Black Beret which was an elite riverboat flotilla that patrolled the winding rivers of Southeast Asia.  He was a 21 year old newlywed when he went to war.  When the grenade went off it incinerated his ear, hair and parts of his scalp.  It scarred his face, he lost his right eye and eyelid, split his right hand in half and tore a hole in his chest. 

In the field hospital where he was treated he saw other badly wounded men whose wives recoiled at the sight of their husbands.  As he lay there he weighed his options and decided he wanted out so he pulled out the intravenous tubes and waited to die. When his wife Brenda came to see him she didn’t recoil from his injuries.  He apologized to her that he would never be good-looking again.  She replied, “You never were that good-looking.” They are still together today. 

He took this horrifying experience and turned it into a ministry.  When September 11, 2001 happened, he saw a new generation of young men and women coming back from war broken.  He stated it best when he said, “I felt my life had meaning again.  God took the experience of my life and gave me a purpose.  Never let a good scar go to waste.”  He now runs two ranches where war veterans can go called Operation Warrior Reconnect.  Most of the vets have traumatic brain injury or post-traumatic stress.  He uses his experience to help others.

What did I learn from this article?  In a world where beauty his highly valued, we would all be better off being born blind.  If I never had the influence of seeing what the world believes to be beautiful, I would not make an instant assumption about another human being.  I would not know the difference between a person’s skin color or what the world thinks is beautiful.  Each person I would meet would be beautiful and I would see them from the heart not my eyes. 

Yesterday I was working on my computer and I went on Bible Gateway to look up a scripture.  The scripture of the day was the following:

1 Samuel 16:7

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

God spoke to me and I was listening.  The Lord doesn’t see us as we see each other.  He looks at our heart.  When I looked back at this gentleman, I saw a different man.  Not because he was any different on the outside but because I am different on the inside.  I now look at his picture and see him the way God sees him. This gentleman is beautiful in my eyes.  I plan to pray for his ministry because it is sorely needed.  God bless our troops who serve so that we can be free.  
     
Prayer for the Day: Heavenly Father, I was immediately ashamed of myself when I looked at the photo in the magazine and then read the story about this gentleman. You showed me how shallow I can be and I want to be different.  Help me to see others as you do.  When I look at others I want to see their heart, not what is on the outside.  Help me to not let the world influence how I see others.  I miss the beauty of the person if I focus on the outside.   
  

Scripture: Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.  1 Peter 3:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment